Front caliper grease ?

More
21 May 2011 14:01 #452572 by OKC_Kent
Front caliper grease ? was created by OKC_Kent
My 78 650 B2 started making groaning noises when I applied the front brake. I have the caliper off and disassembled now. Cleaned it out good with brake cleaner and now need to know about greasing a few parts.

A few years ago I used Synthetic Caliper Grease on the caliper shafts and I'm not sure I should do it again. This stuff was pretty hard and very sticky upon dis-assembly today. I think it's the reason for the groaning noises, there was no way this was lubricating the shafts at this point in time.

The Kawasaki Official manual says to coat the caliper holding shafts with PBC (poly butyl cuprysil) grease. Clymers manual does not mention doing this at all..
After searching Google, some guy on a car forum said PBC grease is the same as Copper anti-seize. I have some I use on my spark plugs. Should I try it? What about other greases? I have wheel bearing grease, and white lithium grease.

Also, the Clymers manual says to lightly coat the piston and back of pads with "disc brake lubricant". The Kawasaki shop manual makes no mention of doing this. What is "disc brake lubricant"? Is it that stuff in the packet when you buy new pads?

How should I proceed?

Thanks, Kent

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2011 14:46 - 14 Feb 2013 11:16 #452575 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 14 Feb 2013 11:16 by martin_csr.

More
21 May 2011 15:21 #452579 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Front caliper grease ?
I would stay away from the copper anti-seize, it's not really a lubricant and from what I was told it´s not kind to rubber

Any caliper lube similar to the one Martin suggests should work, can be found at most autoparts stores.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 May 2011 17:21 - 21 May 2011 17:40 #452595 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front caliper grease ?
send the bolts to your friendly neighborhood plating shop B)

Attachment caliperbolt.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2011 17:40 by wireman.

More
22 May 2011 11:24 #452763 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Front caliper grease ?
Make sure you clean out the groove for the seal with a small wire wheel and a dremmel.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
22 May 2011 11:34 - 22 May 2011 11:40 #452766 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front caliper grease ?
PBC is not the same as copper anti-seize. Nissan brakes also call for PBC; here's the part #

Cut and paste: " www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/nissan-pbc...ase~99990-00939.html "

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 22 May 2011 11:40 by 650ed.

More
22 May 2011 13:08 #452783 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Front caliper grease ?
No copper anti-sieze? It's already on there. I decided to use that stuff and threw on new brake pads too. I didn't see these posts until this morning or I wouldn't have used it.

I went for a 30 miler and it seemed to work. But the rubber shaft booties were torn and I do need a new set. Once I get the caliper rebuild kit I'll find the right grease.

Thanks guys.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
22 May 2011 16:43 - 22 May 2011 16:49 #452818 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Front caliper grease ?
Is the use of generic grease a bad idea due to the possibility of the rubber getting fouled?
Could grease end up on the disks decreasing the effectiveness?

Sorry, I did not know to use grease.

What would be likely to happen if grease is not used?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 22 May 2011 16:49 by Qdude.

More
23 May 2011 20:06 #453092 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Front caliper grease ?

Qdude wrote: Is the use of generic grease a bad idea due to the possibility of the rubber getting fouled?

300,000 miles on KZs and I have never used grease or any lube, but then I've never had a caliper fail yet. All mine still work good as new after all these years despite lack of lube.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 May 2011 23:50 #453179 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front caliper grease ?

RonKZ650 wrote:

Qdude wrote: Is the use of generic grease a bad idea due to the possibility of the rubber getting fouled?

300,000 miles on KZs and I have never used grease or any lube, but then I've never had a caliper fail yet. All mine still work good as new after all these years despite lack of lube.

I have a mere 50+k miles on my KZ650-C1 and have had the same excellent experience. I've replaced pads once, but never pulled the caliper pins and the brakes work like new, so I guess the original grease must still be working. I guess the issue is that once the pins have been pulled out and cleaned off, or messed with by a previous owner, it makes sense to me to put the original type grease on them since that works so well for those of us who left it alone. However, if they haven't been messed with and still work great, I would not pull them apart. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)