Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need a smaller disc for my kz440 mag. 05 May 2006 00:26 #45217

• elcid
  • elcid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok so I have a KZ400 mag on my kz650 & I want a smaller diameter rotor on there with some sort of smallish double piston. I know I have a four bolt pattern for the rotor. So what can I bolt on there with the least amount of mods? I would like some sort of modern caliper like the ones off a sport bike. Bottom line is I want a smaller setup all around. Smaller rotor, caliper, master cylinder, etc. What do you recommend? Preferrably something I can find used off of Ebay. Hey Steel you there??? :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need a smaller disc for my kz440 mag. 05 May 2006 00:38 #45220

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Yep, just took care of the double post :)

As far as your disk brake question goes, I don't have a clue as to anything being a bolt on. :(

As far as I know, all the four bolt disks were the same diameter, but the disks off the dual disk models were thinner and lighter than the ones off the single disk models.

If your goal is to reduce front end weight, how about just using the entire front end off a late model sportbike? Apparently they are considerably lighter than the KZ frontend.

Now if only I could find a late GSXR frontend that I could afford :)
KD9JUR

Need a smaller disc for my kz440 mag. 05 May 2006 01:45 #45227

• elcid
  • elcid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
well it is not that I want a lighter disc. I want one with a smaller diameter. I hate those giant ones that cover almost the whole wheel. So I assume that 25 years later with advances in technology/ safety, that I can go with a smaller disc with a double piston caliper setup. I guess this is one I will have to just find out for myself by getting a disc & finding out how to use it. I also would like a gsxr or r1 or r6 fork but yes, too expensive. I want to do inverted forks. We'll see...

Need a smaller disc for my kz440 mag. 05 May 2006 08:18 #45261

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1616
I cut down the outside diameter on two disks using a lathe. Someone put the wrong disks on from a bigger bike. I had to cut about a 1/4 inch off the O.D.

Know anyone with a lathe, Steell? :P
Just kidding, there probably isn't enough diameter to cut it down small enough for elcid.

• Page: