z1r front brakes

More
14 May 2011 21:53 #451012 by asevans
z1r front brakes was created by asevans
I cant seem to get my front master cylinder to pump brake fluid. Ive gotten a new piston and am trying to bleed the system. is there some trick to get it started? Ive pumped and pumped it a thousand times. Taken the banjo off at the master and put my finger on it to feel suction. very little if any pressure or suction. Taken it all back apart except for the piston and looked at everything.

I got the rear ok. I just took my finger and put it over the hole at the rear master and got it started then reconnected the hose and moved to the caliper and got it. just cant get the front.

I havent messed with the dual systems before. only my kz900 single front brake system. maybe somebody can help me out.

thanx
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 May 2011 21:56 #451015 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic z1r front brakes
is it getting fluid to the master cylinder from the remote resevoir?
z1rs have that 1 off front brake system on them

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 May 2011 22:14 #451022 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic z1r front brakes
Yes. i took off the hose into the master from the reservoir to check that. fluid came out so yes. but nothing from out of the two holes on the bottom of the master.

Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 May 2011 22:20 #451026 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic z1r front brakes
maybe try pming black banshee or les holt,the z1r is my version of a unicorn! :laugh:
everybody seems to have one but me,not for alack of trying for last 20 plus years though. :(

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 May 2011 22:39 - 15 May 2011 08:46 #451040 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic z1r front brakes
I had the same problem with my KZ550 with dual front disc brakes. I left the brake hose attached to the master cylinder but removed the hose on the other end. Then put the end of that hose into the master cylinder reservoir (full of fluid) and began to pump the brakes. This worked for me to get the air out of the master cylinder. Your setup may be different from mine and there is probably an easier way to do what I did.

1981 KZ550-D1
Last edit: 15 May 2011 08:46 by GPz550D1.

More
14 May 2011 23:05 #451062 by asevans
Thanks. i might try that. that sounds like a good idea. im sure it just needs to be primed or something. the only thing that scares me is the lack of suction or pressure when i put my finger on the master outlet holes.

Thanx
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
15 May 2011 15:38 #451221 by asevans
update.
ive got fluid coming out of one of the calipers. alot of air. been pumping about an hour. still alot of air. just one caliper though. i guess you just have to imagine those brake lines being empty of fluid and full of air and all that air has to come out the bleeder tube one bubble at a time.

if i get this then ill finally have brakes. and on to other stuff.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
15 May 2011 18:11 #451251 by asevans
i have failed. cant figure it out and im done for the day. hoped to get this done. i just keep getting air no fuid out of the right side caliper. the left has a little fluid, about an inch above the bleeder then stops. cant get it any higher. i get air bubbles out every time i pump on the brake lever. i dont get it. there are no leaks that i can see.

where could the air come from?

Could bad calipers be causing this?

i took each caliper off and looked very close at them and seen no leakage. It seems pretty simple but i cant figure it out. no leakage anywhere.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
16 May 2011 13:54 - 16 May 2011 13:55 #451451 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic z1r front brakes
try up bleeding.
get a pump up oil can and attach a foot or so of vacuum hose to the nozzle(clamp it to the nozzle so you don't push it off when you start pumping).fill it with brake fluid.then pull the brake lever in and tape it closed to the handlebar.then attach your hose to one bleeder and open the bleeder on the other side.you should be able to pump fluid from one side to the other,forcing the air out.once it runs clean lock them both and release the lever.now re-connect your hose from the oil can to one of the bleeders and with the lever open (you may have to pull it in slightly to allow the fluid to flow up,i haven't done this in awhile and am going from memory)pump fluid up into the reservoir until the bubbles stop and then go ahead and push up enough fluid to fill it up.

hth,
keep us posted

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 16 May 2011 13:55 by 531blackbanshee.

More
17 May 2011 16:27 #451740 by asevans
Thanx leon, i will have to try that, although im not sure what a pump up oil can is.

wouldnt i have to have a bad master or something to just keep getting so much air? i got a rebuild kit for it but it is still suspect. i dont notice any brake fluid leaking anywhere around the master or downstream.

I do however have a small seeper in my reservoir. man, good luck finding a new one of those. i dont think that would let air enter the system though. its on the upstream side of the master. it is right in what looks to be a seam separating the top and bottom sections of the reservoir. that sucks. i will probably try to use a soldering iron and attempt to melt the plastic to fix the leak.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
17 May 2011 18:21 #451754 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic z1r front brakes
asevens,a squirt type oil can(that you fill with oil or whatever) that you use to squirt oil on stuff.

it is amazing how much air can hide in a system.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

More
18 May 2011 16:03 #451928 by asevans
duhhh.
im on itl
thanx.
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project