Handlebar holes pins

More
02 May 2011 14:38 - 13 Feb 2013 13:21 #448290 by martin_csr
Handlebar holes pins was created by martin_csr
The handlebar control housings have locator pins on them that fit into holes of the stock handlebars. To install new handlebars I'll either have to drill some holes or grind off the pins. The chances of me drilling holes in the correct spot are pretty slim. So...

Would it be a bad idea to grind off those pins? Or do they help to keep the housings in position?
Thanks. JMK.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 13:21 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 May 2011 14:51 #448297 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Handlebar Control Housing pins & handlebar holes
i took a set of small vise grips yesterday and vise gripped the pin in the open clam half of the new replacement Z1 ent throttle control housing....it came off before i really even bent it over back and forth...i thought it would take a few to snap but it popped off easy and nice and flush...2 seconds and done

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

More
02 May 2011 14:58 - 13 Feb 2013 13:21 #448300 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Handlebar holes pins
The housings won't rotate on the handlebars without the pins?
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 13:21 by martin_csr.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
02 May 2011 15:21 #448309 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Handlebar Control Housing pins & handlebar holes
in fact for me...i want em to rotate with a good force...i set mine up to be able to twist them a bit with a firm hand..while riding if i notice i want a tad different stance,,,, or if the bikes get bumped or tip over they will spin some and not snap stuff...i think the tabs gave the assembly persons back in the day an exact reproduction of location without looking at it...faster production line ect.....

wait till you get bars with holes so the wiring from the controls goes inside the bars...those are a big pain to switch to superbike ect bars imo.....78 Z1-r were stock with wires run inside the bars i think....

no you wont need them ever again...snap it...snap it good....da.da.da.don....snap it...into place...go for it...it not too late...to snapit....snapit good...da..da..da..da.don.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 May 2011 15:25 #448312 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Handlebar Control Housing pins & handlebar holes
i ground the pins out of mine with decent results

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
02 May 2011 15:30 #448317 by Patton

martin_csr wrote: The handlebar control housings have locator pins on them that fit into holes of the stock handlebars. To install new handlebars I'll either have to drill some holes or grind off the pins. The chances of me drilling holes in the correct spot are pretty slim. So...

Would it be a bad idea to grind off those pins? Or do they help to keep the housings in position?
Thanks. JMK.

Would it be a bad idea to grind off those pins? Yes.
do they help to keep the housings in position? Yes

Would measure distance from end of handlebar, eyeball correct circumference location, mark with pin-punch, and drill.

Easiest to use old handlebars for reference and with new handlebars on the work bench (in padded vise) for drilling.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
02 May 2011 15:52 #448320 by trianglelaguna
yes yes...why did i not mention that...by all means ...drill into your handle bars.....i'm sure that makes me better....bar ends and the clamp screws keep the controls on in a crash...

do not drill into your new bars.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

More
02 May 2011 15:53 - 13 Feb 2013 13:20 #448321 by martin_csr
never mind.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 13:20 by martin_csr.

More
02 May 2011 16:11 #448324 by Kidkawie
I drilled mine. Took 2 seconds. Like Patton said: eyeball the correct location, measure, mark, measure again, punch and drill. Allow for the black end cap if the new bars have it or just pop it out.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
02 May 2011 16:28 #448326 by Patton

martin_csr wrote: ...the right side I drilled the hole darn close to where it needed to be, probably within 0.5-1.0 mm but not quite far enough from the bar's end, so the throttle grip has an audible vibration when I take my hand off.... kind of annoying. I guess the incorrect hole location is why it's vibrating....

Handsome bike! :cheer:

Throttle grip tube should not vibrate against the handlebar when not being held onto, even without the rubber grip.

If the rubber grip is serving as a vibration damper by rubbing against the end of the handlebar, the rubber grip is pushed too far onto the handlebar, as this particular vibration damping activity isn't a purpose of the rubber hand grip, imo.

Besides the minimal resistance inside the throttle cables as they move back and forth, there should be basically no resistance to "spin" of the throttle tube around the handlebar, within the limits of its designed movement arc.

Some folks apply grease between the handlebar and the throttle tube, which might incidentally help quell some vibration, but is imo ill-advised.

Would suspect some other cause of excessive throttle grip vibration besides the location hole being 0.5-1.0 mm too close to end of the handlebar.

Consider, sometimes it's necessary to move the throttle fitting even further out on the handlebar to afford slight additional space for master cylinder clearance, in which case the end of the tube extends slightly beyond the end of the handlebar.

Just my 2ยข.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 May 2011 19:20 - 13 Feb 2013 13:20 #448357 by martin_csr
Well, there's no other reason that I could find for it to be vibrating.
After all, gee, how complicated could it be to reinstall a control housing & throttle grip.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 13:20 by martin_csr.