Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 01 May 2011 22:23 #448169

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Please don't put in 150 PSI as you'll probably blow out the seals. Looking at the shop manual for my 1982 GPz1100 B2 I see 5.7 to 8.5 psi. I would not go beyond 10 PSI max.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 01 May 2011 22:39 #448174

• MuzzleMike
  • MuzzleMike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
  • Thank you received: 1
kz750saskatoon I was lucky to have a 80 kz440 ltd that had a good set . For connecting them I have not done it yet but I talked to a shop that put e set of air shocks on a 77 Monarch I had back in 89 and they told my it should not be a problem but they where worried about the age of the forks , They are car guys not bike guys .

Mike I started out with 5 psi and the forks would bottom out when I got on the bike so I went up 5 psi at a time until they did not bottom out that was at 20 psi and then I added 5 more thinking about the bad roads I have around here them I got worried that I was doing it all wrong . Like the manual said 5 to 70 psi . I did have it at 30 psi and the bike sat high and at 25 it seams just right for me . Am I doing this right ?

Mike
82 KZ750 LTD H3

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 01 May 2011 23:35 #448189

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
20-25 PSI seems high for me, but if you don't blow out the front forks going over a bump or two, I see no problem. Most guy's bleed the air out of the suspension in the front and put a better progressive spring in the place of the stock spring.

www.progressivesuspension.com
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

- 02 May 2011 10:06 #448238

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624

Last edit: by martin_csr.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 02 May 2011 18:33 #448347

• indianajames
  • User
my 82 750 ltd had a sticker on the shock tube that said not to exceed 35 psi . air or nitrogen only. this was the factory sticker that came off for polishing so i made sure to remember.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 02 May 2011 18:35 #448349

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
i dont know,im going by what he says! :sick: :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 03 May 2011 01:25 #448473

• MuzzleMike
  • User
  • Rice Only
I am thinking about taking then down to 10 or 15 psi and taking it out for a ride and see how it feels and go slow and adjust from there . If I get back up to 25 then it should be OK . I will do this after I get my new front tire on .

Mike
82 KZ750 LTD H3

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 03 May 2011 02:07 #448482

• polarbear
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
Interesting thread to me. I have a 550 LTD M1 that I'm putting back on the road and it too has air shocks. I didn't know how much pressure nor that we could replace the shreader valves. I'll be keeping an eye on this one, so please come back MuzzleMike and let us know how much pressure works well for you.
Thanks,
C

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 03 May 2011 02:20 #448485

• MuzzleMike
  • User
  • Rice Only

martin_csr wrote:

MuzzleMike wrote: ... The shop manual tells me 5 to 70 psi . That is a large range . Where should I start ? At 5 psi the forks are bottomed out . I have them at 25 psi ...

You're misreading the manual. It probably says 10 psi or 70 kPa ... or something like that for the 750E.
Maybe take a closer look at the air pressure chart in the manual.
I'd guess the standard air pressure for the 750H is ~8.5 psi, and the useable range is around 7-14 psi.

Do you have the owner's manual?

You are wright I was miss reading it . The max psi is 36 psi . I do not have an owner's manual . I am going with a shops manual . It states I should use lower psi for cruising on smooth roads and higher for high speed riding and bad roads . Well I live in Western PA and most of the roads are bad so I think I am on the right track and it also says not to use a tire gauge . I picked up a gauge that screws on from a bike shop . They got it for me but they thing I am nuts for even messing with them . They told me to mod them with better springs . I am going to get this working one way or another . I would like to make this mechanically like the day it came off of the show room just with a better color . I know that they had the adjustable rear shocks . Mine are in ruff shape . They are not leaking yet and they are different a little on both sides . I do not know if they where messing with me but can I get air shocks for the rear also ? I was thinking it might be nice for riding 2 up but I do wont it to be like it was back in 1982 . This might be a trade off . I do not know .

Mike

PS I forgot The one side of the rear shocks . The adjuster is frozen so it can not be adjusted . It is a little number wheel . I just put the other side to mach for now until I get around to tackle it . I would like to just get it legal and ride it for once .
82 KZ750 LTD H3

Last edit: by MuzzleMike.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 03 May 2011 02:56 #448489

• MuzzleMike
  • User
  • Rice Only
I thought of using some lines with a single shreader from an old car I had . The valve was set up just under the license plate and you had equal presser on both side for the shocks . It might look a little odd on a bike but this way you will have no worry about having the same presser on both sides . I am going to look into this and is I do find a way I will list part numbers if they have any and pics .

Mike
82 KZ750 LTD H3

- 03 May 2011 08:52 #448503

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624

Last edit: by martin_csr.

82 kz750 LTD air forks ? 08 Nov 2011 04:44 #487552

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
mine has got a sticker on the forks by the wheel its got some english writing and some asian writing and in the asian writing it says 35 psi max. when i went to fill them with air(i guess you could use some sort of a gas and not gasoline either i was going to try that but i figured at an average of 4 bucks a gallon who can spare any). so i filled them up it almost bounced the bike off the kickstand and there i was wondering what the air valves were for i thought it was for a runflat tire emergeny backup air pressure but yes it does fill up the front forks and seeing as how i could very well bungee strap an airtank to the backseat of the bike and using the t fitting you mentioned to make it just one schrader valve and maybe an electronic valve on the air tank hose connected to the schrader valve on the forks i could be doing about a hundy hit the gas and open the air valve at the same time and i could possibly pop a wheelie with this heavy tank of a bike- ok so maybe a little dangerous but yeah i am 6'2" and on my 80 kz750 ltd four cylinder i have trouble riding it with air in the forks so i keep them empty of air maybe i could even put suction in there with some weight on the front and push the air valve things low-rida
Attachments: