Frame Straightening

More
21 Apr 2011 00:12 #445972 by jvette65
Frame Straightening was created by jvette65
I got to ride my MkII project last week.rides as good as it looks. My new project is a 75 Z1.There is no major visible damage to the bike but It looks as if the steering yoke is twisted. looking at the bike from the front it appears the fork tubes areleaning to the left. Can the frame be checked and straightened? Can I do it at home? I'm in the Milwaukee Wi. area. Any Help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Apr 2011 00:30 #445978 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frame Straightening
thats a common problem with z1 frames B)
easiest way to get an idea if frame is straight is to clamp frame down right side up as if youre sitting on it on a solid surface that you know to be level.
put a level across bottem of engine cradle tubes and shim it up till its level ,then start laying a level from side to side anyplace 2 tubes run parralel (spell check! :whistle: )to each other and start comparing notes.
the 2 lower backbone tubes under tank and steering head are going to be the farthest out of whack from each other in my experiance,lots of steering heads were welded crooked from factory and many others were tortured by wheelie riding idiots like me in the day! :sick: :woohoo:
anyway that will give you good general idea of the shape your frame is in and if you need to find a frame jig B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Jan 2012 23:13 #495768 by jvette65
Replied by jvette65 on topic Frame Straightening
I found a guy in Hartford Wisconsin that straightens frames. he did two Z1 for me and they turned out great. The guy is Rick at Dodge County Sport & Cycle in Wisconsin
The following user(s) said Thank You: etbike3135, wireman