rear shock damping

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
19 Apr 2011 02:22 - 19 Apr 2011 02:27 #445470 by TomW
rear shock damping was created by TomW
How much damping should there be on rear shocks on compression? I took the springs off of my old Mulholland shocks and found almost no damping on compression, plenty on rebound. I figured they were shot. I bought a used set of Showas from a Sporty with supposedly low miles on them. They looked new and a trusted seller claimed only about 1000 mile, so I figured they're good. Well I took those springs off and same thing, almost no damping on compression, plenty on rebound. Is this normal? Shouldn't the damping rates be nearly equal for a street bike? Either I have two good pair or two shot pair.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 19 Apr 2011 02:27 by TomW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
19 Apr 2011 03:20 #445475 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic rear shock damping
the springs do most of the compressing

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
19 Apr 2011 09:39 #445495 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic rear shock damping
Springs alone do just fine in cushioning the initial jolt, but would allow the suspension to keep on bouncing without rebound damping.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Apr 2011 00:01 #445733 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic rear shock damping

Patton wrote: Springs alone do just fine in cushioning the initial jolt, but would allow the suspension to keep on bouncing without rebound damping.

I understand springs cushion the ride. The job of the shock is to keep the tire on the pavement. When hitting a bump without damping, the mass of the rear wheel, swing arm chain, sprocket, etc. IOW the unsprung mass, through inertia, can can cause the rear wheel to leave the road. This is bad in a turn. So, why no compression damping? Has anyone yanked on their shocks without a spring?

More
20 Apr 2011 09:55 - 20 Apr 2011 10:08 #445775 by Patton

TomW wrote: ...Has anyone yanked on their shocks without a spring?

OMR reportedly does some yanking without a spring. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Apr 2011 10:08 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Apr 2011 10:06 #445777 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic rear shock damping

Patton wrote:

TomW wrote: ...Has anyone yanked on their shocks without a spring?

OMR reportedly does some yanking without a spring. :lol:

:woohoo: :laugh: Good one Patton!

All shocks I've ever worked with had both rebound and compression dampening. Of course they are all different. Harley shocks might be the exception with the 1920 technology!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
20 Apr 2011 10:40 #445781 by Patton
Think pogo stick.

When jumping on a pogo stick, tip stays on ground during "compression" stroke without need for "damping" during compression stroke.

When rebounding without "rebound" damping, the tip springs up off the ground.
Good for pogo sticks. Not so good for motorcycles.

A pogo stick with significant compression damping would just ooze down when trying to jump on it.
Not good for pogo sticks or motorcycles.

Spring oscillations may be controlled by either compression or rebound damping.

Motorcycle rear suspension "compression" resistance is handled mostly by the springs and spring preload adjustment, and not compression damping.

Spring oscillation on motorcycle rear suspension is adequately controlled by the rebound damping which aids in reducing rear wheel hop (i.e., pogoing).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2011 13:02 - 20 Apr 2011 13:07 #445806 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rear shock damping
Just think what would happen with no compression damping. Many bumps that you encounter would cause the shock to bottom out, transmitting a large jolt directly to your spine.

Rather than me sitting here for three hours trying to explain it while typing with two fingers, you could read all about compression damping at Sport Rider magazine .

Technicalities: Compression Damping
Beyond Nuts and Bolts
From the November, 2009 issue of Sport Rider
By Paul Thede

Paul Thede is the guy behind Race Tech and inventor of the Gold Valve and Emulator

Enjoy :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 20 Apr 2011 13:07 by steell.

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
20 Apr 2011 14:36 - 20 Apr 2011 14:41 #445827 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic rear shock damping

steell wrote: Just think what would happen with no compression damping. Many bumps that you encounter would cause the shock to bottom out, transmitting a large jolt directly to your spine.

Rather than me sitting here for three hours trying to explain it while typing with two fingers, you could read all about compression damping at Sport Rider magazine .

Technicalities: Compression Damping
Beyond Nuts and Bolts
From the November, 2009 issue of Sport Rider

By Paul Thede

Paul Thede is the guy behind Race Tech and inventor of the Gold Valve and Emulator

Enjoy :)

Aw, come on, type for three hours, it's good for your character.

Save your time. I read the excellent article you referenced and the previous one referenced in the article you referenced in you referal. (sp?):ohmy: :S :dry:

That hurt.

The articles explained every thing I was thinking but didn't know. Bottom line is I now think both my old Mulhollands and the newer Showas are good but old technology and made for comfort not performance. I'll put the Showas on the bike because they are purtier, clean chrome rather than rusty black. Thanks for your time.

Last edit: 20 Apr 2011 14:41 by TomW.