Another stupid bobber question

More
15 Apr 2011 13:02 #444762 by apbling
Another stupid bobber question was created by apbling
I was working on my buddies Yamaha 650 Vstar the other day and we had the passenger seat off but driver and gas tank still on. It just looked so nice like that that I wonder if I can't apply something similar to my 550. So, has anyone put on a single seat but left the shocks and the majority of the frame intact and just but a different fender on or somehow mod'd the existing fender?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
15 Apr 2011 16:27 #444782 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Another stupid bobber question
Kind of like this? LINK

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
15 Apr 2011 17:37 #444788 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Another stupid bobber question
not really.

I'd like to have a saddle type seat, but keep the fender (or a version of it) and leave the frame and shocks alone. Problem is you would see the frame because it is above the stock fender.

Also I'd like to be able to add/remove the passenger seat depending if she's coming with me or not.

Like I said, my buddy had that 650 V star and we took the passenger seat off and all you saw was the fender and bolt hole for the passenger seat. Difference is it's a monoshock setup.

More
15 Apr 2011 17:41 - 15 Apr 2011 17:42 #444790 by apbling

I'd think I'd almost have to cut the frame right after the shock mounts, mount a harley fender or something and brace it underneath...

maybe like this, but different fender.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2011 17:42 by apbling.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
15 Apr 2011 18:59 #444803 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Another stupid bobber question
Interesting. I can't recall seeing a 2 up convertible bobber. You will have some hurtles indeed. Good luck and be sure to document your progress. As I said it should be interesting.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
16 Apr 2011 23:38 #445042 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Another stupid bobber question
putting a solo seat on there with out cutting the rear off at the shocks would looks pretty whack. Everything that you will find in a any search for what you are asking will most likely have the rear chopped off or modded.

what you want is not a bobber, but more of a street tracker/flat track inspired bike. just like that SR400. Look up street and flat trackers and you will be hyped im sure.

Check this site ... www.ChopCult.com for more chopping inspiration.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor

More
17 Apr 2011 00:52 #445068 by TONY_G
Replied by TONY_G on topic Another stupid bobber question
i cut 8 inches off the rear before a did my cafe rearend has a bit of a street tracker look
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2011 11:22 #445095 by apbling
Something like this:

www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/iron-883.html

I like seeing the entire back fender but it being a solo seat. Plus having the option to throw a passenger seat on for the wife would be a plus.

More
19 Apr 2011 14:32 #445583 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Another stupid bobber question
What you could do is to cut the rear frame loop, and make the frame pieces behind the shock mounts act more like fender struts, like on a Sportster. It would take some modding, because it would be round tube and not flat stock like struts usually are. Then you mount the fender to the frame, which would look good while sitting on it, but have abig gap when it's parked due to the suspension. Then just add provisions to the fender for a passenger seat.

It would not be easy to pull off without some major modding.

I have been toying with the idea, but so far I am coming up blank.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
19 Apr 2011 14:43 #445586 by apbling
Yeah, I'm kinda blank too... hacking into your frame isn't something I want to do at the drop of a hat!

More
19 Apr 2011 14:44 #445588 by djturnz

djturnz wrote: What you could do is to cut the rear frame loop, and make the frame pieces behind the shock mounts act more like fender struts, like on a Sportster. It would take some modding, because it would be round tube and not flat stock like struts usually are. Then you mount the fender to the frame, which would look good while sitting on it, but have abig gap when it's parked due to the suspension. Then just add provisions to the fender for a passenger seat.

It would not be easy to pull off without some major modding.

I have been toying with the idea, but so far I am coming up blank.

This is sort of what I am talking about.

You could hack the rear frame, and add a fender that is quite thick and/or internall braced with some heavy round stock. If you do a search for "brat style" bikes. You'll get some of the best examples of "bobbers" with shocks.

I want so badly to just cut the frame off behind the shocks on my KZ750, but my wife does like to ride occasionally, so I won't be doing it until I get a larger bike for two-up riding.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
19 Apr 2011 14:46 #445590 by djturnz

apbling wrote: Yeah, I'm kinda blank too... hacking into your frame isn't something I want to do at the drop of a hat!

I'm not concerned with cutting the frame, but you'll still need to add a cross brace of some kind, since you'd be cutting the rear loop out. I don't think a rear independant suspension would be a good performance upgrade.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD