Mono shock travel?

More
07 Apr 2011 20:34 #443304 by les holt
Mono shock travel? was created by les holt
For those who have already gone to single shock, Can you measure up your shock travel against your wheel travel, how much does your shock compress compared to what your wheel travels. Also how it rides, is it soft or stiff. Might be useful to know what model of shock your using. I'm working on finishing up my shock linkage and I have a baseline as the bike sits but looking for feedback as to how your ride feels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Apr 2011 21:36 #443318 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Mono shock travel?
Les, I'm working on it but I can't seem to find the rear suspension travel for my donor bike. My whole rear suspension came from a 1995 GSXR 750. I have found that the shock travel is claimed at 67mm. It's difficult to measure the actual travel of the swingarm since my bike is together and it would be difficult to bottom out the suspension and measure it at the same time. I'll say this, due to that rising rate linkage, the suspension gets very progressive at the limit. I have never felt the rear bottom while riding.

As for feel, my setup is comfortable at anything up to highway speed. I suspect that I would want it to be firmer for racetrack use, but this bike isn't intended for that. Keep in mind that I rebuilt my rear shock with a Racetech Gold valve kit and installed the correct weight spring based on their recommendations. The only flaw that I have noticed with my current setup is very minor. If I encounter a series of closely spaced bumps, like expansion joints the dampening seems a little slow and it can't catch up. Racetech also sells a rebound separator valve that allows for independent adjustment of high and low speed dampening. I don't have this option currently, and I'm sure it would correct for this if properly adjusted. Actually, I set up my suspension according to Racetech's specs, and I haven't even tried to do a proper suspension setup yet. I'm quite happy with the feel and handling of my bike. Actually the limiting factor in cornering my bike is the header to ground clearance on the right side. I can easily touch the outside of the collector down in a right hand turn.

If I can find the specs for rear suspension travel, I'll report back. The GSXR was right next to the KZ when I measured for my pickup points. I tried to set it up just like the GSXR and I'm very close. Fortunately, that particular year Suzuki still has a double cradle frame like a KZ, so the installation was very straightforward.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
07 Apr 2011 21:45 #443320 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Mono shock travel?
Thanks, This design can be set to be super progressive or slow. I'm just trying to get a baseline to work both directions from. I'm patient so if you do have a chance I'd apreciate it.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Apr 2011 21:54 #443323 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Mono shock travel?
I know that I have seen the number somewhere, just can't find it right now. Maybe one of the guys that aren't assembled yet can chime in.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
07 Apr 2011 22:07 - 07 Apr 2011 22:08 #443329 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic Mono shock travel?
i know adam and i are in pre riding stage, but i have slim to none exsperience with the shock adjustments. i was hoping to follow along in this thread and learn something. if there is something i can do dont hesitste to ask, youll just have to walk me through it. i dont have any weight in the bike as my motor is in the making. Joe
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 22:08 by Stu Pidasole.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
07 Apr 2011 23:34 #443364 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Mono shock travel?
My wheel travel is approx 130mm. I need to check, but I suspect the actual shock travel is approx half that, 55mm-65mm. The next time I roll the bike out, I'll measure it for you. Rear shock is a Showa unit I believe with a remote nitrogen resevoir.

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end