I just destroyed brand new replacement seat cover

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
02 Apr 2011 22:10 - 02 Apr 2011 22:11 #442255 by newOld_kz1000
I had heard these replacement seat covers (Travelcade in this case) were tough to put on.

Well I just ruined my new cover trying to get it on the stock foam and pan.

So I'm asking for help, since I have to buy another new seat cover (or maybe just an
entire f-ing seat, dammit).

How do people get these new covers on without ripping? Heat them in an oven and get them
hot so they will stretch? Sheesh, $100 down the f-ing drain. It is an LTD-style seat.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 22:11 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2011 22:18 #442260 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic I just destroyed brand new replacement seat cover
i almost ripped one too bad to use but i stopped...i heard set em out in the sun on a hot day and then get one end all pinned and mounted and work your way back with a helper and a blow dryer...going slow and stopping if it is getting too soft...waiting like i did and then tackling it again with some thought and a blow dryer.....

bummer about the seat...contact them and see what they say.....maybe they will work with you on knocking some off and some helpful hints....i bet they want you happy and will help with the price maybe towards a new one...let us know what they say...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Apr 2011 22:45 #442264 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic I just destroyed brand new replacement seat cover
I've done 2 of those recently, last 1 1/2. Go to the auto parts store and get some black plastic door edge molding, very close to the same size as the Kaw OEM. This will go on the pan edge to take away the sharp surface. Cost about $6-7. I also buy a bit of foam from the fabric sore and some spray glue to build it up a little more. They seem to go on OK although a bit tight, just watch those triangle shaped teeth as they break easily. Sometimes a bit of careful gas welding to repair those before trying to mount anything back on the pan.
Be patient and a spare set of hands would be a good help, put you knee into the pan when upside down and stretch till even then attach with the teeth. Good luck, and I've gotten them for $60.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Apr 2011 02:30 #442297 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I just destroyed brand new replacement seat cover

newOld_kz1000 wrote: I had heard these replacement seat covers (Travelcade in this case) were tough to put on.

Well I just ruined my new cover trying to get it on the stock foam and pan.

So I'm asking for help, since I have to buy another new seat cover (or maybe just an
entire f-ing seat, dammit).

How do people get these new covers on without ripping?

The first time I went to JC Whitney and they sold new covers complete with attached foam. Very easy to install.

This time I hauled the seat over to a local upholstery shop in the part of town you would not want to leave your car and the old guy did a fantastic job of recovering it and installing some new foam.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
05 Oct 2011 07:00 - 05 Oct 2011 07:02 #481459 by Mcdroid

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 05 Oct 2011 07:02 by Mcdroid.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
05 Oct 2011 09:57 #481470 by Proxy
I vote for the old upholstery guy too. Many seats and the result is 100% every time. Cost is often less than a replacement cover and no headaches. Usually a free coffee and some good stories too. Your experience may differ slightly but worth a try after reading this. You get to pick your material too!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
05 Oct 2011 11:08 #481479 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic I just destroyed brand new replacement seat cover
I used to do uphostery for about 20 years, the guys that worked for me ripped a few occasionally.

Take your time use a heat gun to soften the the cover pay attention to the boxing (the sides) if you dont have a heat gun lay it in the sun to soften it and use a hair dryer. (not as effective)

and make double sure you use the door edge gaurd as suggested earlieer. at the very least duct tape the hell out of the redges.

with really bad fitting covers I have had to use contact adhesive on the seat part and warm and stretch the boxing fold it over and even pop rivet it to the pan.

Quick procedure
lay cover on seat fold boxing up (indise out) work from eith the front or back dependeing on cover manufacturer. keeipng seat pad in postion heat the boxing pull front or back over pad. secure the cover in two spots. Push vynly through triangles on corners now heating and stretching the other end pull vinly over and secure it in 2 spots

If every thing was done correctly the sides will be a little taught you should be able to just work your way around securing the vinyl through the tabs.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...