Help! What fork springs are these??

More
29 Mar 2011 18:47 #441260 by hal0tw0
Help! What fork springs are these?? was created by hal0tw0
So Im changing my fork oil and it god effing awful smelling btw....and I go to check the spring to see if its in spec and it way longer than any one in the book. It measures almost 20 3/4"!? My 76 says its supposed to be around 18" I need to know so I can measure the right oil level and now I dont know what is going on. This is becoming more frankenbike at every turn.
Thanks for your help guys

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2011 21:31 #441309 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic Help! What fork springs are these??
could they be progressive brand springs? I dont see a part number stamped anywhere though....

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Mar 2011 21:47 #441317 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help! What fork springs are these??
got a picture of the forks?
i usually just measure the oil in a metric measuring cup before dumping it in B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 Mar 2011 09:35 #441414 by hal0tw0
Do you just want pics of the fork legs and trees, or an overall shot? Thanks!

More
30 Mar 2011 09:43 - 30 Mar 2011 12:40 #441416 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! What fork springs are these??

hal0tw0 wrote: Do you just want pics of the fork legs and trees, or an overall shot? Thanks!

Forks might possibly have been replaced by those from a different model bike.

Should be able to determine from visually observing the springs whether or not they are "progressive," meaning progressively wound (wider spacing between coils at one end and gradually -- progressively -- changing to tightly wound coils at the other end).

Many stock springs are dual rate, meaning wider coils at one end and closer coils at the other end.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Mar 2011 12:40 by Patton.

More
30 Mar 2011 11:59 #441419 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Help! What fork springs are these??

Patton wrote:

hal0tw0 wrote: Do you just want pics of the fork legs and trees, or an overall shot? Thanks!

Forks might possibly have been replaced by those from a different model bike.

Should be able to determine from visually observing the springs whether or not they are "progressive," meaning progressively wound (wider spacing between coils at one end and gradually -- progressively -- changing to tightly wound coils at the other end.

Many stock springs are dual rate, meaning wider coils at one end and closer coils at the other end.

Ditto on what Patton said. There are at least two different versions of 'innards' for the KZ1000A1, one version is shared with the KZ900A series...it is very common, over the years, to 'mix and match' front ends and inner parts of those front ends. I have disassembled three front ends from KZ1000A1's and all three were different...meaning the previous owners had tinkered.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
30 Mar 2011 18:07 #441464 by hal0tw0
Thanks, I think the bike has been lowsided because the points cover is gouged up. Maybe he bent the forks too and replaced them with later model ones. Even so that doesnt explain the length of these springs. They are just way too long to be stock ones it seems.
I cant take a picture today of all the parts but I will try tomorrow.
Thanks again

More
30 Mar 2011 18:23 - 30 Mar 2011 18:24 #441466 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! What fork springs are these??
On my KZ900 LTD, replacing the fork caps requires slight downward pressure against the initial spring resistance to get the threads started into the fork tube. When assembled, it's like having a soft preload on the springs. This is with the front tire up off the floor to allow maximum fork extension. And with the correct progressive springs for KZ900.

Some fork assemblies use a spacer on top of the spring. If the spacer is too long, it's difficult to fit the fork cap.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Mar 2011 18:24 by Patton.