rearsets question.

More
20 Mar 2011 11:28 #439132 by Lazyman06
rearsets question. was created by Lazyman06
I've asked this before but still didn't quite understand. when it comes to putting on aftermarket rearsets are there any that bolt right on or how do you make a bracket to make it work. to me a simple plate would bring about durability issues.

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Mar 2011 12:32 #439143 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic rearsets question.

lets ee if this works...i'm struggling with pics again....these Tarrozi rearsets bolt right up and are made in different peg types and mix and match options i believe 225-285 imo.......
(tarrozi)and i think they work great and look really cool,BUT, but they mark up my boots and are grinding a hole in the soles because of there file/rasp like peg texture...i bet the rubber pegged ones are better......

you can make your own GREAT ones by simply

removing the two nuts that hold the foot peg brackets to the frame on each peg assembly

flip the right peg over and reverse the holes so it fits on the left frames peg mount bolts...it will now be higher and rear-set,and upside down...this will mean pulling the pin and clip that hold the rubber peg on the bracket and switching the pegs so they now fold up instead of flop down....then do the same for the other peg...when your done it is almost impossible to see they were messed with by the casual observer....the shifter and brake arms are now way too long(unless you have size 16 boots :P ) and folks either shorten the end and weld them up or make a linkage(herder but worth it for finished look )

by making your own rear sets you can
1.) keep the comfy non grinding pegs you have now
2.) keep the colors and mounts that match the bike
3.)the pegs are now in line with the rear swingarm pivot and the control and feedback of the rear wheel is way better imo

I have just spent a summer with the Tarrozi and have also had the home made ones on my bikes for years...the home made ones are 10 times better imo...and they dont cost 250.00

other guys make there own out of modern bikes rear sets and i'm sure they can provide pics and instructions...i think some of the ones look to off set from the lines of the KZ...the reason imo is that the bikes they were borrowed from had different stances and they rear sets often sit too low and behind the swing arm pivot...like putting a front fender from a crusier on a standard and having it not follow the wheels curve

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
20 Mar 2011 12:40 #439145 by trianglelaguna

this picture shows a set of rear set pegs using nothing more than what i began with...if you look close you can see how the pegs are now up and back almost right where the rear end is pivoting on the swing arm bolt...these are comfortable and do not chew my shoes up...they are tucked in tight and do not scream hack job...my feet are big enough to reach the controls with my tippy toes and some scrunching up for shifts...i will shorten the brake and shifter one day...

sorry the pic is not a close up it's raining cats and dogs now or i would get a better shot for you...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
20 Mar 2011 13:50 #439168 by trianglelaguna

here is a closer phone pic of the peg bracket swapped from the other side...flipped upside down,and the peg pin pulled..pegged flipped right side up and pin put back...big up and back difference with little cosmetic change

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2011 14:54 #439180 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rearsets question.
I did the same peg flip on my 750 twin a couple years ago. Cost me nothing (I already had the shift linkage from a GPz750) except some time.
Looks and works great.

KD9JUR

More
20 Mar 2011 16:34 #439200 by Lazyman06
Replied by Lazyman06 on topic rearsets question.
might try swapping the pegs thankfully that was one of the things that didn't get burned up.(still digging out old wires and having to break molex connectors apart to get the wiring harness loose) still gonna be a while on getting this down to a rolling frame

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

More
22 Mar 2011 21:07 #439790 by jimstan
Replied by jimstan on topic rear sets question.
Raask rearsets
remove foot pegs and install.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
22 Mar 2011 21:09 #439791 by trianglelaguna
now those are nice!

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Mar 2011 19:21 #441486 by Mercury Kid
Replied by Mercury Kid on topic rearsets question.
Fast From The Past still sells the tarozzi kits. At least their website still lists them.

trianglelaguna, any pics of the shifter side? I ran out and flipped my pegs over yesterday after seeing your picture, but my shifter is waaay too far away. What did you do, if anything?

'76 KZ900-Z1 clone
Z1 70's period longbike

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Mar 2011 19:27 #441489 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic rearsets question.
craig has size 17 feet! :laugh: try a dirtbike shifter,they tend to be shorter B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2011 20:17 #441502 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic rearsets question.
KZ1300 shifters are shorter as well and also are a sort of rearset as they have a short linkage.worked on my kz1000.bj

More
30 Mar 2011 21:01 #441522 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic rear sets question.

jimstan wrote: Raask rearsets

remove foot pegs and install.

How do you shine your engine case? That's beautiful!

PMC makes a REALLY nice kit (although they're 500-odd dollars) that comes with a shorter shifter AND brake pedal as well as the shift linkage. I believe they come with rubber footpegs that has a stock looking feel. I'll see if I can root through their site later this evening and I'll hopefully throw a picture up.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!