Mirror extensions???

More
26 Oct 2005 08:31 #4388 by fergyfer
Mirror extensions??? was created by fergyfer
Does anyone know if there are extensions for the mirror arms, the factory ones? I've adjusted the mirrors as much as possible and still can't see past my fat A$$ without leaning to one side or the other. Or, should I be looking for aftermarket mirrors? I don't like not knowing what's going on behind me! I also don't like leaning when going highway speeds if I don't need to!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2005 13:56 #4715 by hat0791
Replied by hat0791 on topic Mirror extensions???
I've never heard of mirror extensions. Ebay, however, has stock-style and aftermarket mirrors everywhere for around $15.
Did you ever consider a bar-end mirror? might solve the visibility problems. I'm thinking about picking some up myself.

More
27 Oct 2005 14:00 #4717 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Mirror extensions???
How about bar-end mirrors? What kind of bars do you have? I use drag bars, and the bar-ends show everything...actually either one shows everything. And then there's alway just turning around for a look. I do that almost everytime anyway...gotten so used to people driving in my blind spots in my truck. Gives my neck a good stretch, too.

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2005/10/27 17:02

More
27 Oct 2005 14:59 #4727 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Mirror extensions???
I found the Bar End Mirrors after some diligent searching yesterday and printed out a couple. I'll be ordering them for sure. Thanks for the help!

More
27 Oct 2005 15:50 #4731 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic Mirror extensions???
fergyfer wrote:

I found the Bar End Mirrors after some diligent searching yesterday and printed out a couple. I'll be ordering them for sure. Thanks for the help!

link?

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
27 Oct 2005 18:23 #4774 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Mirror extensions???
For what this is worth, I replaced the mirrors on my GPz1100 recently with factory Kawasaki mirrors. What the PO had on the bike were EMGO mirrors which are sold as GPz mirrors; the mirror proper is virtually identical to the factory mirrors. However, the EMGO mirrors had stems which were about an inch longer than the factory mirrors. I don't know if this is a trend with aftermarket EMGO mirrors.

Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2005/10/27 21:25

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Oct 2005 07:32 #4899 by fergyfer
store.azmusa.com/embarmirchro.html is the link to the bar end mirrors. There were several vendors selling the same brand for around the same price. I just did a google search on "bar end mirrors" and this was one of the links. They're too cheap not to try...

More
28 Oct 2005 09:09 #4915 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic Mirror extensions???
Have tried various mirrors and they have all had different "strengths". The most stable mirrors had the shortest stems and provided fantastic views of my shoulders... those with longer stems have all provided blurry indications of what might be "back there", and bar end mirrors were the worst...

More
28 Oct 2005 09:15 #4917 by fergyfer
Well, I'll report back with my opinion of the bar end mirrors after I get them. I just ordered a pair. It makes sense that the farther away from the forks the more noticable vibration would be. But, right now, I'll take blurry behind me over clear me...

More
28 Oct 2005 14:01 #4985 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Mirror extensions???
The barend will be blurry if there isn't a deep enough rubber wedge holding it into the bar. I made mine using barend weights, and longer bolts extending well into the bar. My left one is crystal clear at all speeds up to 100...don't know beyond that. The right one begins to vibrate slightly at 5500 rpm, but is still clear enough to identify the type of vehicle behind you and how far back it is. Basically, the heavier the barend mirror, and closer to the bar is is, the less it will vibrate. The right one vibrates more because of the distance not supported because of the throttle sleeve...not much, but enough to make a difference. Look in the archives...there's a guy (forgot who, sorry) that makes very heavy, very high quality barend mirrors for sale. They are lifetime warranteed, and look fantastic in the photos. I can't afford them, but if you can, they will not vibrate.

More
28 Oct 2005 14:40 #4997 by fergyfer
Thanks! That's good info. I might have to experiment with some weighting to see if I can stop the vibration.

More
28 Oct 2005 17:57 #5032 by Old-Skul
Replied by Old-Skul on topic Mirror extensions???
CRG Industries makes a fantastic (and expensive end-mirror). I love mine, they provide a great view and look fantastic.