kz650c using SR wire wheel...?

More
29 Apr 2006 23:20 #43817 by tjnavyblue
kz650c using SR wire wheel...? was created by tjnavyblue
Hi -
I have a 79' 650C which came stock with mag wheels. I'm doing a full euro/cafe look and I really wanted wire wheels. So I have a 19" up front which looks good and I have a 16x3.25 (or whatever it is) from an SR in the back. I put on a Spitfire 140/16 tire in the back and I'm having alot of trouble getting it to line up correctly. I need to move the wheel further left to center it, but if I do that, it appears that the chain will be tweaking the sprocket/rubber grommet out of line with the wheel and back towards the right. See my dilema? I'll post pics.

My question comes down to this - Did the SR's have different swingarms than the regular 650C's?

Tyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2006 01:03 #43826 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
Not sure on the swingarm differences, my guess would be no, though.

What I am pretty sure on is that a 140 tire is a lot to put on these KZs. I only know of one member who did it, Mark Wing, and I think he had to choose the perfect tire for it. I also think he ran into the same chain issue you had, but ran with it and had no problems.

Hope that helps!

More
30 Apr 2006 18:23 #44005 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
The SRs came with mag wheels as well. The '81-'83 CSRs came with spoke wheels. They do have different swing arms as far as part numbers, but that just may be for the different fittings on them for chain guards and brake line. You'd have to measure them up to compare. I think we have a few members with CSRs here.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
02 May 2006 12:19 #44512 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
I just reread your post so if you need to move the SR wheel LEFT of CENTER for it to be centered that means that the offset on the carrier is smaller than on the kz. Ok now is the carrier a 4, 5, or 6 type? Meaning how many "teeth" are there and how many rubber stoppers on the inside?? Another way of making it fit may be to shim the sproket but it depends on how off you are. If its more than 1/4 inch i am not sure shimming would work and keep the integrity that it needs. Post back with your findings.

Also this has nothing to do with the type os swingarms the bike is using and everthing to do with offsets.

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2006/05/02 15:23

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2006/05/02 15:25

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
02 May 2006 13:22 #44524 by tjnavyblue
Replied by tjnavyblue on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
Thanks guys,

OK: the wheel is from a CSR.

Yes, I think this is all about offsets. My question about whether or not my KZ650C shared the swingarm with the CSR was in relation to wondering if I was trying to fit a square plug in a round hole.

If I were to position the wheel and tire exactly where I wanted it, the chain would not be perfectly aligned. It would be angled slightly to the (riders) right. Which makes me wonder if the CSR's front sprocket was originally positioned farther out (riders left) than on a KZ.

The carrier is a 6 lug carrier.

So, what you're saying is that if the chain is not angled more than 1/4 inch over perfect alignment I should be okay?

Thanks

More
02 May 2006 13:25 #44526 by tjnavyblue
another way of putting it:

I need to move the wheel to the left and leave the sprocket where it is. Seems pretty much impossible.

More
02 May 2006 13:39 #44530 by galaxian
we are using differnt terms here.

When you look at the chain from the back with the CSR wheel it is the rear sprocket that does not line up right. SO that means that the chain is to far outward to the side. Thus being to far to the left (as seen from behind. I have swapped wheels on several kz and never ran into offset problems before. Is the rear wheel a 16" wheel or the 18"? Are you sure this is a kz wheel? Measure the offset between both wheels it needs to be the same. If you are not sure how say so. This way you can take arbitrary measurents to at least compare the tow hubs and carriers. Need more info to help.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
02 May 2006 19:38 #44621 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
The KZ's used different ofset sprocket carriers , I ran into this installing a GPZ wheel on my 650 ,, I was lucky to have a few in stock .. if you line them up you can clearly see the difference :)

More
02 May 2006 20:05 #44642 by galaxian
Shoe48 he isnt mixing a gpz one he is using csr to a c model.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
03 May 2006 17:50 #44902 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
But it is the same thing he might need to find a spocket carrier that has less offset in it , I used one from an LTD on GPZ wheel ,, :)

More
04 May 2006 10:18 #45054 by tjnavyblue
Hello everyone and thanks for the help.

I think you have me on the right track. So the measurement from the center of the wheel to the sprocket should be the same on the wire wheel as it was on the mag wheel I took off. This would give me the correct offset? I'm going out to check this right now and let you know what I find.

The wheel is a 16".

As far as whether it really is from a CSR - I think so. It was one of those Ebay deals, someone had put a new tire on the wheel and the bike got parted out so I picked it up cheap. Because the 140 tire was already on the wheel, I assumed it would fit (my initial mistake:).

The auction said CSR and I think it said from a 1981.

More
26 Apr 2010 15:36 #363349 by ramgoat
Replied by ramgoat on topic kz650c using SR wire wheel...?
what mag wheels will fit 1981 kz1000 csr m1 thanks jason
Attachments: