Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

front spocket size 26 Oct 2005 05:00 #4342

• epop2357
  • epop2357's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When I bought my bike it had been geared down by changing the front spocket by one tooth. I would like to know the concensus around here about the extra seat-of -the -pants acceleration versus running the stock gear ratio.
I have never ridden the bike with the stock set-up, so have nothing to compare it to...........Thanks in advance for your comments.....Oh, yea, it's a kz900.

Post edited by: epop2357, at: 2005/10/26 08:05

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

front spocket size 26 Oct 2005 07:57 #4383

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
There are several threads in the archives which address this issue very well.
Here is a great tool to use....
Calculator

Post edited by: ejshotgun, at: 2005/10/26 11:07

front spocket size 26 Oct 2005 15:48 #4490

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
So what gearing are you running right now? I went down one tooth in the front and now that I have the bike running pretty good I find it's almost too low.

I like the acceleration, but I run out of gears real quick. Seems like I'm always in 5th, even running around town.

When I switch to a 530 setup I will gear up a bit, but still be lower than stock. Fyi, stock on mine is 15/35.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

front spocket size 27 Oct 2005 06:16 #4621

• epop2357
  • epop2357's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I'm am the same. With the 14 front, I just feel like I need another gear on the highway, although it is really quick in town. The calculator only shows about a 300 rpm drop by going to a 15 front. I've had a KZ drag racer tell me I'd like it better gearing higher than stock instead of lower, of course his engines are stronger than my 900. He says the engine is torquey enough, but needs more top end to really help the times.

front spocket size 27 Oct 2005 07:42 #4641

• jenshhj
  • User
For what it's worth... my KZ900 A4 has the equivalent (530 chain conversion) of one more tooth on the front sprocket and it cruises really well on the highway and interstate. A little over 80mph at almost 5000rpm (stock gauges), but around town the bike is slow off the mark unless revving past 3000 rpm before engaging the clutch. I will aim to keep the current ratios because I live in Columbus, OH (which does not have a big downtown area filled with red lights, pedestrian crossings etc), it's pretty flat around here until you get to WV, and there aren't that many twisty roads forcing down shifts. Also, the bike has 26mm carbs which run out of steam at higher rpm (nothing is gained by hanging on past 7500 rpm), and a Murray X pipe which seems to like 4000 rpm ok.

So, if I lived in a "real" city surrounded by some nice hills/mountains, and managed not to be outbid by Wiredgeorge when I put in a bid on fleabay for some smoothbores, then I would return the gearing to stock...;)

• Page: