Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 GPz750 KZ700 left side cover on ebay 26 Oct 2005 03:43 #4334

• John68
  • John68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I started asking sellers on ebay if they had any left side covers, when I saw they had other 82 GPz750 parts. I finally got a response back from someone in Australia who had a rough, but fixable sidecover. She refused to sell it off ebay, but instead, told me she would list it on monday... that was 2 weeks ago, so I asked her which monday she was refering to. She said, next Monday, whichwould have been 3 Mondays from her original response of "Monday" :blink:

anyhow...

I asked her to list it today, if she didn't mind, and she obliged. Now that I see the sidecover, and the condition that it is in, I am really not willing to shell out the US $75 "buy it now" that she is asking. :unsure: :unsure: So now, I feel kinda bad, but maybe someone else wants to take advantage of the listing and scoop it up. here's the item number- #4585378421

I have ultimately opted to make my own side cover from scratch, and when I say scratch, I mean, scratch. I don't have a left hand sidecover ot go by, but I would assume from pictures that it is the bizzarro world's version of the right side cover. Or, it's the opposite day version, however you want to look at it. I am gonna make a plug out of dura-glass and body filler, and then use it as a plug to make a mold from rtv silicone, and then finally cast a new one out of urethane resin, which will give me a hard plastic sidecover, just like the original, but with extra reinforcement in the tab area. Lots or work? sure... Worth it? yes... Why? because I think having someone say, "Hey, where'd you get that sidecover?" and then me responding, "I built it from scratch." would be fun. Fun, if for the only reason that I get to illicit a reaction amongst the most sought after reactions... Shock and Awe. Am I sick? sure... Does it bother me? nope, just the fumes...

Happy Bidding,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 GPz750 KZ700 left side cover on ebay 26 Oct 2005 04:57 #4341

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
John68:

I doubt the sidecover will go for US$75.00...that is a bit high, others still pop up on eBay...here's a suggestion: instead of making a mirror image copy of the right sidecover, why not borrow a left sidecover from someone (like me) and make a direct copy?
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

82 GPz750 KZ700 left side cover on ebay 26 Oct 2005 05:10 #4346

• John68
  • John68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
gee, I'd hate to ask to borrow a side cover. That's like asking to borrow someone's underwear. I mean, well, not that bad, but if the sidecover is mint, and it got scratched in shipping, or worse, I scratched it, or a meteor hit my garage, or something else happened to it, or... well, now I am just being crazy, but point is, I need a sidecover that already has the emblem removed(I don't feel comfortable removing an emblem that has been on a sidecover for 23 years, things could break) and isn't absolutely perfect. Of course, if I did get a mold made from a real GPz750 sidecover, I could then use a more permanent mold material, and punch out a couple of them. I know a few people who have KZ700's that have identical sidecovers (even the same part number) and I am sure some others could use a few more spares.
Do you need any spares? I mean, I could bake up a few for you, if you needed some, in exchange for borrowing the original. You could put them on ebay and we could consider that to be payment for me using yours. Like I said though, if yours are pristine, I couldn't possibly use them. That would just be unfair to you.

BTW, would you be interested in some clear turnsignal lenses? I am thinking of casting a few of those, instead of the amber ones. I could also make red ones for the rear turnsignals, so that you don't have any amber lights facing backwards. I have been toying wiht the notion for some time now, but have thought better of it, if I can't find a market for them. I would have $100's invested in doing even a small batch, so that makes it hard to justify doing them.

Top of the morning,

82 GPz750 KZ700 left side cover on ebay 26 Oct 2005 08:25 #4385

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
John...check your U2U
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Page: