Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?

More
27 Apr 2006 12:32 #43192 by MattBlack
Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust? was created by MattBlack
OK, so when I took my exhaust off, one of my pipes have something inside that slides back and forth as you tip it back and forth. I can only assume that this exhaust is shot?

Anyhow, I want to basically cut the pipes shorter and get rid of any crap inside that's restricting flow. i.e. baffles and what have you.

So where can I cut the stock pipes to ensure that I get past any junk and make sure that there's nothing left but the pipe shell itself. And by doing this, how much will it change the sound/performance? I have a set of carbs coming that are jetted for open exhaust and pods anyhow so I'm not worried about that.

Let me know by looking at this pic where I can cut the pipes to get past the baffles and such.

I plan on cutting these about say 4 inches from the back - right in line with the end of the rear sprocket. Will this be back far enough?

Link: Click Here to Enlarge

thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2006 19:00 #43281 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
Thats a different exhaust than was on my bike, and Im 99% sure it was stock:S My 4-2 was shaped like a regular megaphone, not taperd back smaller right before the end. my MAC 4-1 thats on it now is the megaphone shape.
I could take out the baffles on my stock exhaust by removing a screw and sliding them out, they went about 2/3 of the way up to where the 2-1 area was. if you cut yours off around where you said, you could probly pull the rest of the baffles out in the same way, just beware of stubborn rust, It took some pounding the first time I took them out from the opposite end.
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
29 Apr 2006 09:45 #43657 by MattBlack
Replied by MattBlack on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
So, any more opinions? There has to be more people here who have hacked up the stock pipes. :whistle:

More
29 Apr 2006 13:06 #43695 by BiggDogg
Replied by BiggDogg on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
Hey MattBlack! What are your plans for that stock seat?

More
29 Apr 2006 18:59 #43758 by vic44139
Replied by vic44139 on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
Please post what u end up doing. I have those kind on my ST.

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/04/29 22:46

More
29 Apr 2006 21:14 #43802 by MattBlack
BiggDogg wrote:

Hey MattBlack! What are your plans for that stock seat?

Well I still have the pan, but it's not in great shape and the foam is gone as well as the seat cover. Short answer = the stock seat has seen the last of it's "plans". Sorry, but really, it was beyond really salvaging.

More
30 Apr 2006 21:13 #44066 by BiggDogg
Replied by BiggDogg on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
No prob man, thanks!

More
30 Apr 2006 22:23 #44074 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
I've heard it never sounds good
It will be difficult to jet, thats for sure. Open pipes leave lotsa flatspots

If you're really set on doing it then right on! Let us know how things go.

More
01 May 2006 06:21 #44121 by MattBlack
newbikekiller wrote:

No I never had my heart set on it.... just want to get opinions on stuff before I hack anything off that will cost any more than $50 to replace or that I can't weld back on myself. The exhaust falls into that category. :)

Thanks, but if that's the general consensus that it sounds like crap and tuning will be a problem, then it's not something I want to sign up for. :)

Thanks!

More
01 May 2006 14:56 #44230 by c_aasland
Replied by c_aasland on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
I have a set of short exhausts off an 82 KZ1100 A2. The baffles have been removed, and they look very nice. I don't know if they are stock .. they came with the bike when I got it.

I am willing to sell them, if you're interested .. PM me

Post edited by: c_aasland, at: 2006/05/01 17:58
Attachments:

More
01 May 2006 15:41 #44234 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Cutting + Gutting stock exhaust?
MattBlack wrote:

newbikekiller wrote:

No I never had my heart set on it.... just want to get opinions on stuff before I hack anything off that will cost any more than $50 to replace or that I can't weld back on myself. The exhaust falls into that category. :)

Thanks, but if that's the general consensus that it sounds like crap and tuning will be a problem, then it's not something I want to sign up for. :)

Thanks!

Actually Matt my MAC exhaust is barely within the limits of social acceptance around here. I understand wanting raunch but a straight open exhaust...... it would likely be cheaper to ebay a used after market set up, then to pay all those noise violation tickets, or become a local cops special interest and have your neighbours hate your guts. Check out fleabay buddy, sometimes a guy can really score.