how do i remove this ?

More
02 Feb 2011 18:59 - 03 Feb 2011 12:36 #427984 by merslinger
how do i remove this ? was created by merslinger
i have a bearing that pretty much exploded. i have removed axle the rear wheel coupler wont come off. rotar and sprocket are removed how do i get it off. also any help to remove the bearings i guess i have to hit them out from the other side? do i have to reemove the c clip first are there any tricks to it?

1993 kz1000
Last edit: 03 Feb 2011 12:36 by merslinger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2011 12:56 #428169 by merslinger
Replied by merslinger on topic how do i remove this ?
i didnt get any responses so i just went at it and although i think i damaged a lot of parts i got all the circlips spacers and everything off and out except for part of a bearing. only the out side of the bearing is still wedged in. i tried hammering it from the other side but u cant get behind it and the inside is obviously curved so i need some ideas please?

1993 kz1000
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2011 13:12 #428171 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic how do i remove this ?
Take a propane torch and carefully heat up the bearing housing(the part on the outside of the hub)Using a brass drift or a long punch, work the damaged bearing out by hitting in several places.

When ready to install a new bearing,place the new one inside a freezer for about an hour as this will shrink it enough to fit the hub.

Using the torch again, heat up the hub, and working quickly drop the bearing from the freezer into place, if it's tight fit, carefully apply pressure on the outside of the race, never the inside as this will damage the new bearing.

A large socket will work to help seat the new bearing.

www.goallballs.com should have the bearings you need.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
03 Feb 2011 13:34 #428174 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic how do i remove this ?
if all else fails i have a wheel for you.

More
07 Feb 2011 19:02 #429275 by Red Good
Replied by Red Good on topic how do i remove this ?
Get a magnet and check that what is left is steel . If it is then wipe it clean and make sure there is no mechanical method still holding the outer race in place . If it is all good , with a mig welder reach in and run a bead of weld around the inside of the race . Then flip the wheel over and wait till it falls out .The weld shrinks the race and it should drop right out . Good luck .Red

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
07 Feb 2011 19:06 #429277 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic how do i remove this ?
Red Good wrote:

Get a magnet and check that what is left is steel . If it is then wipe it clean and make sure there is no mechanical method still holding the outer race in place . If it is all good , with a mig welder reach in and run a bead of weld around the inside of the race . Then flip the wheel over and wait till it falls out .The weld shrinks the race and it should drop right out . Good luck .Red

++1 on that old trick.

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
07 Feb 2011 19:42 #429282 by Red Good
Replied by Red Good on topic how do i remove this ?

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
07 Feb 2011 20:08 #429287 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic how do i remove this ?
Did you damage both bearings or just the one, looks like the distance collar is still inside wheel? if it is you will have to get it out, knock the bearing out on the other side, make sure you have snap rings out, once distance collar is out you can take an off set screw driver and tap the remaining race out, may have to use heat, and blaster, keep working it will come out.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
11 Feb 2011 09:26 #429961 by merslinger
Replied by merslinger on topic how do i remove this ?
thanks for all the help i have minimal tools and dont have the ability to run a bead or weld.......yet. tracked down a torch but i had no luck however im sure it was operator error for why i couldnt get it out. after this i found i local shop that had a wheel with new bearings in for $70. it then became personal so i went at the bearing with a dremmel and of course ended up taking just enough of the wheel to not be able to use it.

the collar isnt in there just the outer ring of the bearing. the lip or ledge you see behind it is actually part of the wheel.

i have my bearing in the freezer and getting ready to put it all back together. i planned to switch to sealed bearings but i didnt as long as maintain them it isnt to much of a differce right? or am i asking to be doing this every 1500 miles? thanks again

1993 kz1000

More
11 Feb 2011 11:32 #429990 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic how do i remove this ?
i have always ran sealed bearings so i can not advise for or against the "pack your own" style.
could you post some pics of the new bearings and the bore that you removed the race from?

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0