Handlebars w/wiring holes??

More
29 Jan 2011 20:23 #426983 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
RonKZ650 wrote:

If I understand the question, you want to take different handlebars, drill them and run wiring through them as OEM? Why would you do this as you can cluge, rig with ties tape ect?:) Actually I did do this, I took the stock bars off a KZ650 and wanted superbike bars, so took them and noted the places and sizes drilled in the stock bars and did it to the superbike bars and fitted them up. Came out just like factory. So yes if you want to do it correctly you can drill any bar to run wiring through. I have nothing against wires tied to the bars if that's the way the bike was made, but if you want to stay clean and original looking, yes you can run wiring through the bars.

I do not have the OEM bars. What I have are the superbike bars.

I saw some pictures of a bike with the wiring inside the bars and it was extremely clean. I really have no commitment to preserving anything that has to do with stock condition. I am merely trying to put together a clean, sleak looking KZ, without any major mods. The bike came to me with enough alterations that I feel this way.

My next and most important questions is: What recommendations can be made for the exit hole(s) for the two sets of wiring coming from each handle? Should there be one hole/two holes? Inside the bar clamps? Outside the bar clamps?

1976 Kz900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 22:18 #427008 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
I did one in the middle of the clamps, heat shrink the wiring first, protects from burrs and keeps in tight for pullung, then u can heat shrink the teo sides together as they come out of the center hole. there are several types of outer covering to uses, (I dont like the wire loom that looks like drainage pipe) out there so check around.

More
29 Jan 2011 22:29 #427010 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
stonemaster wrote:

I did one in the middle of the clamps, heat shrink the wiring first, protects from burrs and keeps in tight for pullung, then u can heat shrink the teo sides together as they come out of the center hole. there are several types of outer covering to uses, (I dont like the wire loom that looks like drainage pipe) out there so check around.

drain tile! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
30 Jan 2011 05:12 #427028 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
I drilled the Superbike bars on my '78 to keep the wiring inside the bars like stock. It wasn't that difficult since I had the stock bars for reference. It would have been some guess work without a set of stock bars to get the proper hole sizes and locations. As others have mentioned, pay attention to sharp edges and potential wire pinches when installing the handlebar controls/switches.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

More
30 Jan 2011 09:17 #427082 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
i cheated !
i have a mill so it was easy to set up and slot.if you are going to drill you should have a rotary file so you can deburr the inside and outside of the holes/slots.a rattailed file can do also,just a little slower.take a piece of toilet tissue that you roll up like a cigar(for lack of a better term)and use this to stick through the hole and twist around.if there are burrs left the tissue will tear and stick to the burrs and let you know where the burrs still are.so they don't chafe your wires.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
30 Jan 2011 13:06 #427135 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
If you're using the stock controls:

The holes on the stock bars are located at 6 and 5/8 inches (sorry no metric ruler) from the end of the handlebars. It is aprox. a 3/8 dia. hole. the hole is oriented at the 6 o'clock position of your controls.

In the center the stockbars have one elongated slot for wires to exit from each side. It is oriented facing the headlight canister.

Don't forget to do it in steps as previously advised and deburr carefully. Easy way to pull wires: tape off all holes except inlet and outlet and use a vacuum to suck a mason's line through for a fish. Do both sides, mount your bars, then fish away.

Good luck.

btw, what happened to your stock bars?

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2011 14:24 - 30 Jan 2011 14:25 #427160 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
and use welding wire or rebar tire wire for fishing, coat hangers suck dont use em, dont worry it'll be easy, I did it twice ON Z BARS :woohoo:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2011 14:25 by stonemaster.

More
30 Jan 2011 16:36 #427198 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
calvin17d wrote:

keith1 wrote:

calvin17d wrote:

I have a set of new superbike bars. I am not interested in purchasing a new set. I am interested in drilling mine... Looking for a response from someone who had tried this....thanks.

drill Calvin,..drill........

I guess this would be stating the obvious, but hey if it gets your post count up and helps you develop a knowledgeable facade, keep it coming....

we are all rooting for ya calvin.....it aint rocket science........could care less about the post count...just like busting peaches occasionally.....:laugh:

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
30 Jan 2011 17:18 #427208 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
keith1 wrote:

calvin17d wrote:

keith1 wrote:

calvin17d wrote:

I have a set of new superbike bars. I am not interested in purchasing a new set. I am interested in drilling mine... Looking for a response from someone who had tried this....thanks.

drill Calvin,..drill........

I guess this would be stating the obvious, but hey if it gets your post count up and helps you develop a knowledgeable facade, keep it coming....

we are all rooting for ya calvin.....it aint rocket science........could care less about the post count...just like busting peaches occasionally.....:laugh:

cough....cough....bullshit....cough....

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
30 Jan 2011 22:47 #427284 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
[/quote]
cough....cough....bullshit....cough....[/quote]

+1 to that!

Plenty of knowitallism backed with nonsense is what Ive drawn from those posts. Fortunately others have made useful time of their posts. Thanks guys! Just figuring that I have a great source of information might as well run it by somebody so I dont have to come out the pocket anymore than I have to.....

My pops gave me the bike with superbike bars on it! And I love them!

1976 Kz900 A4

More
31 Jan 2011 17:34 #427514 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
calvin17d wrote:

cough....cough....bullshit....cough....[/quote]

+1 to that!

Plenty of knowitallism backed with nonsense is what Ive drawn from those posts. Fortunately others have made useful time of their posts. Thanks guys! Just figuring that I have a great source of information might as well run it by somebody so I dont have to come out the pocket anymore than I have to.....

My pops gave me the bike with superbike bars on it! And I love them![/quote]

i m sorry you and your girl andy havent dug far enough to see that i have gone through a project stem to stern....i have made mistakes and have learned from them...i m not perfect , but like to bust balls now and then.....sorry if ya took it the wrong way......hope you have good luck doing extremely basic things like using a tape measure, a marker, a center punch, and a drill.......:woohoo: