Handlebars w/wiring holes??

More
29 Jan 2011 18:06 #426884 by calvin17d
Handlebars w/wiring holes?? was created by calvin17d
I saw a set of these that were drilled for the switchblocks on our bikes. It brought the wiring from the switchblock down to a hole behind the headlight. I was wondering if attempted at home, would this significantly decrease the integrity, and had anyone successfully documented the location of the holes from the bar ends?

1976 Kz900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2011 18:10 #426889 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
thanks!:woohoo:

1976 Kz900 A4

More
29 Jan 2011 18:15 #426891 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
the 78 LTD'S had wiring that ran down inside the bars....i had a red 78 LTD back in the late 90's that i took the stock bars off of and put superbike bars on it and zip-tied the wiring to the outside of the bars.....conversely, you can find bars to hide the wiring in.......just wrap them well before you send them inside

More
29 Jan 2011 18:18 #426893 by calvin17d
I have a set of new superbike bars. I am not interested in purchasing a new set. I am interested in drilling mine... Looking for a response from someone who had tried this....thanks.

1976 Kz900 A4

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 18:23 - 29 Jan 2011 18:45 #426903 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
um lets see, u want to know what distance from the end to drill ur holes ??? put everything back on and measure ????
thats what I did on my other bike
no it doesnt hurt the intergrety
Last edit: 29 Jan 2011 18:45 by stonemaster.

More
29 Jan 2011 18:39 #426915 by keith1
calvin17d wrote:

I have a set of new superbike bars. I am not interested in purchasing a new set. I am interested in drilling mine... Looking for a response from someone who had tried this....thanks.

drill Calvin,..drill........

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 18:44 #426918 by stonemaster
there is a trick to consider, on handlebars that are not indented for this purpose it may be neccessary to drill larger holes to accommodate the wiring, allowing the switch housing to fit correctly on the bars, in other words not pushing them up off the bars when u tighten the mounting screws.

More
29 Jan 2011 18:51 #426919 by keith1
c'mon calvin......you can do it......get the bars out, get a sharpie....pull the wiring, estimate where ya need it.....measure twice, and then one more time, drill once......:woohoo:

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 19:00 #426924 by stonemaster
here's another tip, when drilling the holes take a punch and make an indentation, the start with a small drill bit for ur pilot hole, the reason is if u start off on the rounded surface without don this ur bit wont remain stationary and will get squirrely

More
29 Jan 2011 19:02 #426926 by keith1
stonemaster wrote:

here's another tip, when drilling the holes take a punch and make an indentation, the start with a small drill bit for ur pilot hole, the reason is if u start off on the rounded surface without don this ur bit wont remain stationary and will get squirrely

excellent advice.....B)

More
29 Jan 2011 20:03 #426969 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Handlebars w/wiring holes??
If I understand the question, you want to take different handlebars, drill them and run wiring through them as OEM? Why would you do this as you can cluge, rig with ties tape ect?:) Actually I did do this, I took the stock bars off a KZ650 and wanted superbike bars, so took them and noted the places and sizes drilled in the stock bars and did it to the superbike bars and fitted them up. Came out just like factory. So yes if you want to do it correctly you can drill any bar to run wiring through. I have nothing against wires tied to the bars if that's the way the bike was made, but if you want to stay clean and original looking, yes you can run wiring through the bars.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Jan 2011 20:17 #426979 by calvin17d
keith1 wrote:

calvin17d wrote:

drill Calvin,..drill........

I guess this would be stating the obvious, but hey if it gets your post count up and helps you develop a knowledgeable facade, keep it coming....

1976 Kz900 A4