What is this and is it bad?

More
29 Jan 2011 04:41 #426683 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic What is this and is it bad?
I can't really see the pics too good, but did they plate inside the bores of the caliper? First mistake if they did. The stuff isn't that strong to begin with and will wear really quickly, plus reduces the bore size. We usually painted them with a chemical resistant paint to prevent plating in areas we didn't want, and then removed the paint after.

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
29 Jan 2011 04:51 #426690 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic What is this and is it bad?
no plating in caliper bore. the question I had was about that ring that is there in one picture and obviously not in the next. I think it is part of the piston dust boot but I don't remember taking it off there.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
29 Jan 2011 05:01 #426697 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What is this and is it bad?
if its in the area where the seal sits id tell em they owe you another caliper B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 05:10 #426701 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic What is this and is it bad?
Marneman wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

I have 0% experience in plating so question for those that do...

I know it's possible to have pieces re-chromed, when this is accomplished do they somehow remove the old chrome first...

Our is the piece just roughed up and then go through process.

I would think (again no experience) that they would be able to repair this or re-do, no?

Wow...finally a question I can answer :laugh: Yeah, they have to remove and start over. Sometimes they can get it back down to just the copper coat, but the nickel plate (no actual chrome in there) must be removed. My dad would have taken it all the way back down though. Actually, he wouldn't have let it leave the shop. Should be easily fixable.

It's a really cool process, at least I thought so.. Takes your breath away though...literally, place can gag a maggot the chemical fumes are so strong.

+1 on that,
now what does this have to do with the wrong cleaning solution anyway ??? I'm confused

More
29 Jan 2011 05:17 #426705 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What is this and is it bad?
attacked the aluminum? :S

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Jan 2011 07:52 #426737 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic What is this and is it bad?
stop it chrome adds weight and makes you go slower

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 08:28 #426749 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic What is this and is it bad?
jeffasaki wrote:

stop it chrome adds weight and makes you go slower

I beg to differ, at least +5bhp. ;)

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Jan 2011 08:38 #426753 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic What is this and is it bad?
The caliper body is aluminum, that seal ring is metal, they initially dip the the aluminum in chromatic acid, which is sulfuric acid. they had a bad reaction.
Yes, they used "glyptol" red insulator paint on areas that you don't want chrome on.

To redo it, you would have to strip that chrome off, which involves more acid and a buss bar with low voltage, DC current with the opposite polarity.
That takes a coulpe of days.

Your best bet is to start over with a $9.99 used caliper from ebay. Make sure you pop out the metal seal ring first.

Aluminum is hard to plate, it is hit or miss. That's why alot of small shops won't touch it.
My guy just does metal. EPA checks his drains once a week! Nickle has quadruppled in the last couple of years.
So has acid, copper sulfate too, this is why chrome is so much $$$

Got to send it out to a National place like Browns in KY.
But you need a $50,000 a year account.
Couple places in Cali; and a good one in PA.

Good Luck

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 09:46 #426760 by stonemaster
z1kzonly wrote:

The caliper body is aluminum, that seal ring is metal, they initially dip the the aluminum in chromatic acid, which is sulfuric acid. they had a bad reaction.
Yes, they used "glyptol" red insulator paint on areas that you don't want chrome on.

To redo it, you would have to strip that chrome off, which involves more acid and a buss bar with low voltage, DC current with the opposite polarity.
That takes a coulpe of days.

Your best bet is to start over with a $9.99 used caliper from ebay. Make sure you pop out the metal seal ring first.

Aluminum is hard to plate, it is hit or miss. That's why alot of small shops won't touch it.
My guy just does metal. EPA checks his drains once a week! Nickle has quadruppled in the last couple of years.
So has acid, copper sulfate too, this is why chrome is so much $$$

Got to send it out to a National place like Browns in KY.
But you need a $50,000 a year account.
Couple places in Cali; and a good one in PA.

Good Luck

NO YU DONT Talked to Ronnie Brown a couple of months ago, gave me a quote via email, no account neccessary, They'll send u a catalogs with a price breakdown, PM me if u need further info

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
29 Jan 2011 11:10 #426775 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic What is this and is it bad?
It look like you ended up with a leak in the masking... Looks like they had a mask inside the piston bore and tried to mask the caliper face with tape or something. Sometime during the plating cycle, the sealant leaked and allowed the plating material to contact with the parent part.
If the buildup is just on the corner and down into the dust seal groove, you might be able to file or grind off the raised material. The problem later on might be getting the dust seal to install into the groove since the groove will be filled in with chrome plating. If any plating got into the piston diameter you're out of business and will need to replace the caliper.
From the pictures it was kind of hard to tell where the over-chrome went. Try a picture from slightly further back and show the affected areas.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2011 11:49 #426780 by stonemaster
some platers dont have as much experience with motorcycles, they may do decent work (which by the picture it look good) but do not have experience with possible issues with bike parts, thats why a place like Browns is better, they do mostly motorcycle parts
all may not be lost, it may be possible to dremel ur way out of this but I could say for sure, chrome plating does not add that much thickness, actually very little

• andy9802gt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
30 Jan 2011 07:10 #427049 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic What is this and is it bad?
Alright I figured out what they are. It's called the caliper seal ring and I need some. Only problem is I can't find a source for them. Anybody got any laying around they wanna part ways with? I have a '78 LTD with the single piston calipers all the way around. The fronts best I can measure are 38mm and the rear is 42mm. If you got some let me know.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm
Attachments: