Idea thread for rasing hybrid front ends..input!!!

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Dec 2010 10:32 #419340 by trianglelaguna
click this picture to enlarge...sorry for the spelling and scribbling it took me 2 seconds to draw...but it gets the point out i hope....

I have an idea that it will work and it is only in the infant stage so be kind,but be real,and please hijack this thread in any direction that lifts the front of a modern fork conversion to sit like the bike did with tight stock set up...

Any new ideas are also fine to get rolling here....

I think there a lot of threads with the already tried
methods going...

I wanted to try and think a bit outside the current well designed KZR Hybrids box for a while...

there are many glitches to fan out

first one i see already is my drawing would not allow the forks to slide out of the lower tree again after welding...

any more?

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2010 10:41 #419345 by TexasKZ
Looks like it would be really difficult to use the adjusters on the tops of the forks -- they'd be WAY down in side the extension.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 10:46 #419346 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Idea thread for rasing hybrid front ends..input!!!
so you could have any modern front end within reason and still keep the bikes lines flowing...

If this bike was lowered off the rear stand ,in my mind it would sit level and not be tipping forward ,or overwhelmed by the front end being apart from the flow....

some carefully sliced and opened up stock fork ears could be made wider to wrap the sleeves and return the trademark kz headlight and eras...allowing the welds on the sleeve/inserted fork tube fix to be concealed

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Dec 2010 10:47 #419347 by turboguzzi
trianglelaguna wrote:

any more?

making a weld / severe change in cross section near to the point of the highest bend stress (bottom triple clamp).

dont do it.

ADDING a fork extension above the stock fork tube (an area that is less subject to bending is quite a common solution.

TG

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 10:51 #419348 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Idea thread for rasing hybrid front ends..input!!!
what if the adjusters were made to mate to the inserted free floating length of internal rod (to fill the void pice /dealy/thinger)and the rod bottom copied the orginal adjusters actions

maybe ...good point...what if i slip having it all adjustable and just use a length to pre-load it to my needs and accept the new with the loss of some adjustments....sad answer i think

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 10:54 #419349 by trianglelaguna
turboguzzi wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote:

any more?

making a weld / severe change in cross section near to the point of the highest bend stress (bottom triple clamp).

dont do it.

ADDING a fork extension above the stock fork tube (an area that is less subject to bending is quite a common solution.

TG

that was my first thought and that was one of the questions i put to banshee...could the weld then be smoothed enough to actually mimic the orig forks dia.

it would still end up bellow the top yolk though correct....that was why i then day dreamed containing the extension in a area of free dia...ie...between the trees slide/clamping holes

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
30 Dec 2010 10:57 #419350 by kz1k
craig i didnt relize you were an arteest. maybe i can get ya to draw me a design for my ride?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 11:04 - 30 Dec 2010 11:05 #419354 by trianglelaguna
i have my moments...i used to do art a lot...for me it is like weight lifting...if you stop it's hard to keep the skills....

i once wanted to live in the hills and be a potter and just create with woods and materials and paint ect...

but life is what it is...thanks for the props...i want to start a thread of members art work...i have some decent stuff....i'm betting the talent around here runs deep and many forms...it's like building stuff...it is in our DNA...your welding stuff is high art....

the best piece of art i ever saw was an old 3 lb coffee can filled to overflow with junk post cement and let hard with a broken broom handle center and sticking up 2 feet...it held six rolls of T.p and was in a campground bathroom,,,,,,art is whatever it wants.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 11:05 by trianglelaguna.

More
30 Dec 2010 11:24 #419355 by turboguzzi
google fork extenders or fork extension, these thing exists off the sehlf, custom guys use it often
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 11:25 #419356 by trianglelaguna
not knowing the insides of a modern usd...im sure the vary greatly on their internals too...but anyways not knowing kept me from allowing myself to daydream an internal extension tube/sleeve....why daydream something i cant see into in my minds eye....it could be though that a super strong inside dia sleeve could be inserted and married to the upper and lower pieces ,,,i just dont know...the outer Dia. i can see and dream

i understand the "dont do it" and why it could buckle.,...but i still think if the sleeve was tough and married together well it would be strong/stronger than the original fork tube...in my dream it is at least...and it allows the trees to choke down to the kz neck and the usd to be longer as needed to level the stance

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2010 11:26 #419357 by trianglelaguna
doing so now....wonder how long they go....great link...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
30 Dec 2010 18:22 - 30 Dec 2010 18:49 #419413 by gearheadmm
Never seen those fork extenders before, nice. Roadracer fork extenders and dragracer spring spacers an your rockin. Spacers can be used on the top and bottom "rebound" spring. A spacer of the same length on the top and bottom will raise ride height and spring rate, adjust lengths to your suit needs. You might not even need the extenders if you don't have to go up much. Some things ya jus shoudn't weld.

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 18:49 by gearheadmm.