New Vulcan shocks on the way!

More
16 Dec 2010 07:52 #417219 by apbling
New Vulcan shocks on the way! was created by apbling
So I just got a good deal on a set of 95 Vulcan 500 shocks on fleabay. They are 11.5" eye to eye. I think my stockers are 13 or 13.5. I am hoping that they aren't too short. Not because I'm worried about comfort, but I am concerned if I hit a bump I might bottom out (especially if I have a passenger). From appearance the Vulcan looks like it may be a heavier bike than my 82 550 LTD, so maybe I'll be ok. Anyone have any insight on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2010 11:23 - 16 Dec 2010 12:04 #417235 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New Vulcan shocks on the way!
If the shocks have a bumper that stops spring compression before the coils bind, could remove springs (if feasible) and install shocks without springs to test clearance at full compression.

Could also try to find specs for rear suspension travel on 95 Vulcan 500, and compare with measured distance between tire and fender with shock at full extension (absent sag).

Might also be able to determine minimal clearance with spring in place by mounting only one shock, and trying to fully compress it by whatever means possible (such as letting 2 or three of OMR's girl friends all sit together on the bike).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Dec 2010 12:04 by Patton.

More
16 Dec 2010 11:26 #417236 by Patton
:unsure: Is there any wiring routed underneath the rear fender that could be torn out by contact with rear tire when hitting a large bump?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Dec 2010 11:43 #417237 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic New Vulcan shocks on the way!
Patton wrote:

(such as letting 2 or three of OMR's girl friends all sit together on the the bike).

quote]

Thanks for the great laugh!

The only wiring under the fender is for the tail light, but I think that it is protected. I will double check before I go too hog wild.

I'll look into a couple of your other recommendations. Being an optimistic thinker, I used to ride this bike at 270 lbs (plus the wife at 120) with the current shocks. I now weigh 205 (wife still 120 thank god), so maybe it will be a wash...? Newer shocks, but shorter, but less me...

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
16 Dec 2010 11:46 #417239 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic New Vulcan shocks on the way!
are they adjustable?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

More
16 Dec 2010 11:51 #417241 by apbling
I'm guessing you are referring to the new ones from the Vulcan?
They don't appear to be.
My stockers, yes. They are the showa kind. You can adjust them on the top and bottom end (not sure their correct names...preload and dampening?)

More
16 Dec 2010 12:11 - 16 Dec 2010 12:21 #417243 by Patton
If new shocks barely allow tire-fender contact at max compression, might consider adding an additional bumper, which would reduce suspension travel but hopefully stop further spring compression before tire/fender contact.

The protective (usually thin) metal channel in which the wires run underneath the fender probably won't withstand much if any abuse from a spinning tire. And may rip away, along with the wires.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Dec 2010 12:21 by Patton.

More
16 Dec 2010 12:23 #417244 by apbling
Well, maybe she'll just have to stay home then :)
How does one add an additional bumper?

More
16 Dec 2010 12:39 #417246 by Patton
apbling wrote:

...How does one add an additional bumper?

Would depend on construction of the particular shock design, and likely be done with spring removed.

The ides is to extend the bumper by any means possible so that the shock will itself bottom out before the tire contacts the fender.

Would await examination and trial fitting of the new shocks before worrying too much further about shortening their range of operation. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD