76- KZ900- Modern Front End Update?

More
14 Dec 2010 13:08 #416932 by Gringo
76- KZ900- Modern Front End Update? was created by Gringo
Hey Folks,

I'm interested to hear suggestions towards updating my KZ900 front end. Forks, clamps and wheels with a late model sport bike type set up to give her a more modern suspension set up and look.

If any of you have done this I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to what parts will best fit to get the job done so that I can map out the refit and start on my eBay quest for parts to target.

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2010 14:13 - 14 Dec 2010 14:14 #416940 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic 76- KZ900- Modern Front End Update?
I used the entire front off a '89 ZX7 (ZXR750) on my '75 Z1. Worked as a bolt-on for that model by only adding a couple bearing shims to Z1 replacement tapered bearings.
I think the '76 frame was strengthened somewhat - not sure of '75 to '76 matchup.

Galaxian started a thread about this particular route (and there are some others out there). See it on the archive: www.kzrider.com/archive/viewthread.php?tid=29959

Other issues to consider:
- Whatcha going to do for a guage cluster, especially a speedo? I made a custom cable for '89 front wheel to original '75 speedo. There was a lot of little fabrication and fooling around to get cluster, headlight, brake lines, etc. all squared away.

- Whatcha going to do for handlebars? Clip-ons were low, uncomfortable, and bumped the tank. I switched to a superbike bar conversion kit - adds handlebar risers to top triple.

- Whatcha going to do for a rear end? Leave the original KZ wheel and swingarm? 17" up front might be odd stance. I swapped to '90 ZX11 wheels and disc brakes at both ends. Endless complications but I like the results. (ZX11 wheels fit the ZX7 forks just fine, btw).

Typical thing: People can tell you what they did, but can't tell you if your plan will work unless fabrication is no object (time and money!).

'75 Z1B with mods
Last edit: 14 Dec 2010 14:14 by elseed.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2010 14:28 #416942 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 76- KZ900- Modern Front End Update?
GSXR forks seem to be the easiest to fit up and have good length.

I went ZX7 route. Was considerable work.
Attachments: