Yet another swing arm question, long

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
15 Nov 2010 20:51 #412957 by TomW
Hi All,

First an introduction. My name is Tom, I live in SE Wisconsin and my KZ1000B2 is my primary transportation in good weather. I'm preparing for a winter tear down, overhaul and new paint.

I've read every swing arm thread going back 35 pages in this category. Almost all my questions have been answered there. One new one is 'Why?' The only mention I've seen is the longer arm smooths out the chop on the highway. Of course the alum arm lowers unsprung weight. The smoother ride interests me as I plan on doing a lot of long distance riding next year. Is the steel arm from a GS1000 a suitable candidate for the swap? How about lengthening the stock arm? How much? The steel arm would be more affordable and easier to modify. The stock arm would be even easier. I'll probably keep the stock wheels as money is a major consideration. I have a nice, well equipped machine shop and welding equipment to do the work. Alas no TIG.

There will be more questions as I progress, I'm sure, but this will get me started.

Tom

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
15 Nov 2010 22:48 #412961 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
The Kz is an excellent open road/xcountry bike in stock form. Most guys doing the swingarm swap want either (1)a longer arm (2)a wider wheel (3) cheap modern suspension or (4) any combination of the above.
It is my suggestion and humble opinion, that if this bike is your primary transportaion AND money is an issue; leave it stock. Clean it up, replace all the bearings and paint it. Once you start changing things, it's a slippery slope. One small change affects 5 others that now need to be tweaked or modded to work right. Go with your gut and your first plan to clean the old girl up. Get a second bike that you don't rely on if you still have an itch to mod B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
16 Nov 2010 01:19 #412970 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
porchev914 wrote:

The Kz is an excellent open road/xcountry bike in stock form. Most guys doing the swingarm swap want either (1)a longer arm (2)a wider wheel (3) cheap modern suspension or (4) any combination of the above.
It is my suggestion and humble opinion, that if this bike is your primary transportaion AND money is an issue; leave it stock. Clean it up, replace all the bearings and paint it. Once you start changing things, it's a slippery slope. One small change affects 5 others that now need to be tweaked or modded to work right. Go with your gut and your first plan to clean the old girl up. Get a second bike that you don't rely on if you still have an itch to mod B)

That's what my buddy told me. Leave it alone. Just do the valve job, paint it and get it back on the road with as little fuss as possible. It seems like the smart thing to do, but I've never been accused of doing the smart thing. Now to get on with the leak down test. Thanks for your input.

Tom

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2010 04:22 #412979 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
gs 1100's actually are the bike swingarm swap right out, two schools of thought, u got the stockers and the customizers, I'm with the latter

More
16 Nov 2010 05:04 #412986 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
I run a swingarm that is maybe 3-4" over stock.

The way the bike is set up(or down) the swingarm adds to the dragbike look.

I can get the bigger tire in the swingarm. I don't remember the size.

I bought a KZ 650 and that bike has the same size tire as my extended swingarm. :huh:

I do not throw the bike into curves. The ride is alright but the handling likes a lot to be desired.

Stock swingarm on right, One I streached a couple of inches in the middle, and the one I run on the left. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
16 Nov 2010 05:13 #412988 by TomW
stonemaster wrote:

gs 1100's actually are the bike swingarm swap right out, two schools of thought, u got the stockers and the customizers, I'm with the latter

I like to tinker also, that's probably why i got this hair up my butt. But there has to be a good reason for me to do a modification. I looked for a GS1100 arm on eBay. They all seem to be from shafties. The chain driven ones must be rare.

Tom

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
16 Nov 2010 06:39 #412993 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
I though a swingarm swap would be cool too, as well as a monoshock conversion. This is what I mean about the ripple effect-

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2010 11:01 #413016 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
A bike with nearly 60" of wheelbase is long enough to ride well if it has a good pair of shocks. Leave your swingarm stock and get the best pair of aftermarket shocks that you can afford.

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2010 15:04 #413044 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Yet another swing arm question, long
TomW wrote:

stonemaster wrote:

I like to tinker also, that's probably why i got this hair up my butt. But there has to be a good reason for me to do a modification. I looked for a GS1100 arm on eBay. They all seem to be from shafties. The chain driven ones must be rare.

Tom

go to GSResource, its the suzuki gs website, got mine there for 100 bucks, there's always one up for sale

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
17 Nov 2010 04:28 #413126 by TomW
porchev914 wrote:

I though a swingarm swap would be cool too, as well as a monoshock conversion. This is what I mean about the ripple effect-

It looks like you're doing more than a swing arm switch.

I want to keep the frame unmolested so that I can return the bike to stock in the future if I get another bike for touring. I looked for A Gold Wing for a while but the bank account said no way. I like the LTD for zipping around but I don't like killing bugs with my face. For long rides I gotta have a fairing. The bike is Vetterized now with a fairing, lowers, bags and trunk.
Tom

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
17 Nov 2010 04:33 #413128 by TomW
mjg15 wrote:

A bike with nearly 60" of wheelbase is long enough to ride well if it has a good pair of shocks. Leave your swingarm stock and get the best pair of aftermarket shocks that you can afford.

I've been looking at shocks, and now I'm suffering from sticker shock. Progressives seem to be the most available. Cost almost $500 to equip my bike with shocks and heavy duty springs. Yikes! You got any suggestions for a more affordable alternative? I'm a big guy, so no wimpy shocks need apply.

Tom

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
17 Nov 2010 04:37 #413129 by TomW
stonemaster wrote:

TomW wrote:

stonemaster wrote:

Tom

go to GSResource, its the suzuki gs website, got mine there for 100 bucks, there's always one up for sale

Did that already. None were available recently. Now the swing arm is almost off the table so it's a moot point anyway.

Tom