1982 550c3 ltd back brake locked up doing ten mph

More
09 Nov 2010 16:50 #411910 by johnLTD
I was doing ten around a wide curve when all of a sudden my back brake locked up, I think I heard a loud ping but I'm not sure. Well, I was stuck in the middle of the street. Well, I loosened what I think was my brake rod adjusting nut all the way. It's the nut at the end of the bar that connects my back brake pedal with my back wheel. With that done, I could drive it back to my parking spot. Any ideas what happened?

1982 kz550 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2010 18:59 #411939 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1982 550c3 ltd back brake locked up doing ten mph
Maybe the foot level return spring broke and your foot pressure applied the brake.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Nov 2010 21:58 #411963 by Patton
Might have broken something internal such as a rear brake shoe return spring for example, or maybe a brake shoe lining separated, etc.

Would disassemble, clean, inspect, and replace any worn or broken parts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2010 03:42 #411974 by JMKZHI
Remove the rear wheel & take a look at everything. It's a dirty job - don't breath the dust & avoid contaminating the wheel bearings. I cut off the bottoms from a couple of plastic bottles then tape them over the bearings w good duct tape.

If you don't know how old the shoes are, go ahead & order a new set straight away - Z1Enterprises.com has them. The lining adhesive can fail over time. The lining came off one of the shoes while I was rolling the bike off the center stand in front of the garage, so that was kinda lucky. Be sure to use brake grease on the pivot points etc. I use Permattex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube in the little pouches.
Attachments: