73 z1 rear brake issue

More
09 Nov 2010 11:23 #411858 by BadAssRX7
73 z1 rear brake issue was created by BadAssRX7
ok were almost finished with the friends 73 z1. were having a issue with the rear brakes. its got aftermarket brakes and its a hurst airheart master cyl. NOS from the late 70's. all parts are new... master, hose, caliper, pads and rotor. the issue is when we started bleeding the air out we have found that piston in the caliper movers out when pressing the brake but also returns when you let off the brake. I know the caliper does let off the pressure so your not dragging the brakes but i m getting the piston to fully return into the caliper ...... so we can never get the pads to touch the rotor. Im stumped.... there is no air in the sys that i can tell.
HELP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2010 11:28 #411859 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
right brake pads? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Nov 2010 12:31 #411869 by BadAssRX7
Replied by BadAssRX7 on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
PLUMMEN wrote:

right brake pads? B)

yep!
i guess a really good way to describe it is when i press the brakes the piston moves 1" (just a number not real travel)... when i release the brakes the piston travels 1" back into the caliper. when it should just hardlymove back at all just enuff to not drag the pads and rotor.

More
09 Nov 2010 12:37 #411870 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
did a check valve get left out?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Nov 2010 16:38 #411907 by BadAssRX7
PLUMMEN wrote:

did a check valve get left out?

all parts are new... and is there a valve in there? i know theres not 1 in the hose or the caliper but not sure on the master cyl.

More
09 Nov 2010 21:20 #411959 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
Guessing m/c has two ports at bottom of reservoir for transferring fluid between reservoir and bore.

One of the ports might be obstructed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Nov 2010 07:41 #411997 by BadAssRX7
Patton wrote:

Guessing m/c has two ports at bottom of reservoir for transferring fluid between reservoir and bore.

One of the ports might be obstructed.

Good Fortune! :)

2 small ports... yep and i dont see anything in there but im going to open it up and see again... was also told maybe the boot on the piston is sticking and pulling it back in..... ok that sounds realistic also so ill see about checking the rubber boot too. ill let yall know what i find.... but a waterpump is calling my name right this sec.

More
10 Nov 2010 10:32 - 10 Nov 2010 10:34 #412015 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
Is the cap on the reservoir vented?

Try doing this: crack bleeder, apply brake, close bleeder, let off brake. Do that a few times to push fluid through.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 10 Nov 2010 10:34 by Kidkawie.

More
11 Nov 2010 05:40 #412156 by BadAssRX7
Kidkawie wrote:

Is the cap on the reservoir vented?

Try doing this: crack bleeder, apply brake, close bleeder, let off brake. Do that a few times to push fluid through.

nope the cap is a polished alum. rectangal with 2 screw/bolts to hold it down. I have bled it with the cap on and off. i have bled it when the system was under load(normal kinda bleeding) and open it then put on a load like you said. I do know i get a larger discharge when i open the bleder and then press the brake.

More
11 Nov 2010 07:35 #412161 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic 73 z1 rear brake issue
Try blocking the caliper with some wood so the piston has something to push up against.

And like Patton said, recheck those small ports that they are clear of any debris.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
16 Nov 2010 05:12 #412987 by BadAssRX7
well we got it working right. we ended up pushing the piston almost all the way out of the caliper then with the hose removed from it we filled the caliper with fluid. the master and hose had been bled so we kept the open hose end up so no fluid drained out and then hook it all back up and bled it with a wrench acting as the rotor(was the same thickness). then we reinstalled it on the bike and with a few small adjustments on the linkage we had strong rear brakes.