Front brakes on a kz750 ?

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
06 Nov 2010 00:12 #411130 by MuzzleMike
Front brakes on a kz750 ? was created by MuzzleMike
I have a 1982 kz750 ltd that I picked up this summer and I am trying to get it on the road for next spring . This thing is missing some parts . I do have a 1980 kz440 ltd parts bike that I can get some of them off of . My question is . The 750 is missing the brake caliper off of the left side . I already tried the 440's and it will bolt up to the fork and looks to be ok with the rotor . The pads look to almost the same size but the 750's is square and the 440's are round as long as I use the right pads for the right caliper would this work ? I should say I am working with a small budget that is why I am not just buying a new caliper but if I have to I will . Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks
Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2010 13:15 #411281 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Front brakes on a kz750 ?
If the pad location aligns to the rotor properly, I don't see why it could not be used. The pads may be a little smaller (?) but that is OK if they are contacting the rotor face in the right place.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
06 Nov 2010 13:23 #411284 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Front brakes on a kz750 ?
That is what I was thinking . The pads line up but the 750's are square and the 440's are round .

Thanks

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
08 Nov 2010 22:26 #411776 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Front brakes on a kz750 ?
MuzzleMike wrote:

That is what I was thinking . The pads line up but the 750's are square and the 440's are round .

Thanks

The rear pads on my 750 are round (and smaller than the front) while the fronts are more rectangular. Running smaller pads on the front might reduce braking a touch but I doubt it would be noticeable.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
09 Nov 2010 10:07 #411849 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Front brakes on a kz750 ?
I have decided to go a head and use the brakes off of the 440 . I will start out going slow . I would not like to have it not work at high speeds :woohoo: . I will keep a not book on the parts I put on it so I will remember what to get for it . I think as long as I go slow and let the pads seat to the rotors everything should be OK . It looks that the only difference is the shape the size is so close . I will have rear brakes if all ells fails .

82 KZ750 LTD H3