Removing paint for ground

More
22 Oct 2010 17:23 #408332 by mvent
Removing paint for ground was created by mvent
Going to start assembly soon and need to know where to remove paint on frame for grounding points, can anyone tell me? Bike is 78 KZ1000 A2A
Thanks

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2010 18:37 #408352 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Removing paint for ground
i usually ground to back corner of cases,you could run a jumper with a ring on it to a bolt on battery box if youre worried about it B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Oct 2010 22:11 #408399 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing paint for ground
mvent wrote:

Going to start assembly soon and need to know where to remove paint on frame for grounding points, can anyone tell me? Bike is 78 KZ1000 A2A
Thanks

On each set of points, one contact is permanently grounded by being screwed into the large round backing plate.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2010 22:24 #408401 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing paint for ground
If relevant, the negative battery cable attaches to ground by connecting to rear of engine.

On each set of points, one contact is permanently grounded by being screwed into the large round backing plate.

The large round backing plate attaches and grounds to the engine which connects to the negative battery terminal via the cable attached to rear of engine.

Some builders attach the negative battery cable to the frame instead of to the rear of engine. Imo, this risks a less stable ground for the ignition, because it then further relies on conductivity between engine and frame.

Where the negative battery cable is connected to the frame (instead of to the engine), paint should be first removed from the frame where the cable lug attaches.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Oct 2010 05:22 #408415 by mvent
Replied by mvent on topic Removing paint for ground
Thanks for the replies, trying to cover all bases before actual assembly, never would believe EVERYTHING needs to be messaged before its put back together

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

More
23 Oct 2010 15:43 #408574 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Removing paint for ground
I must be a worry-wart or just a bit excessive perhaps.:unsure: I've always had two ground sources, one to frame, one to motor, and a smaller lead off each for the wiring harness ground so it has double connections as well.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.