Center stand?

More
19 Oct 2010 15:58 #407618 by jearhart
Center stand? was created by jearhart
Ok so i am the new guy on the block. Just got my first bike; an 81 kz 440 (not an LTD), and i have a couple of questions.

Did this model come with a center stand? If not what is the best way to lift the bike to do work on it?

Front forks appear crooked when handle bars are straight. I have been told to loosen up forks and triple tree and then tighten everything thing back down again to see if it goes back to being staight. Any suggestions?

Need to change fork oil. Manual suggest 5w20 is that a dated suggestion? and do i need to replace circlip, or is that just a factory suggestion?

Thanks for any help given.

jared

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2010 16:29 #407831 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Center stand?
Looking at Kawasaki.com it appears that although the chain and belt drive '81 KZ440 LTD's had a center stand the standard '81 (KZ440-B2) did not. You might double check under the frame to see if the mounts for a center stand are there. If so, you might be able to mount one from an LTD. If you loosen and tighten the triple tree clamps things might line up better (with luck) but if the forks or trees are tweaked you need to repair them as it may be dangerous. I've been using Bel Ray 15w Fork Oil for over 30 years with great success. I change it every 2 years. I don't know which circlip you mean. It may be a different config than my KZ650. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2010 17:34 #407848 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Center stand?
If u dont want to put a center stand under it,invest $35-40 in a paddock lift and use it instead.Kaw doesnt make the multi-grade fork oil anymore,so u can buy some Kawi 10w and some 20w and blend them OR do as Ed. does and use a 15w brand.bj

More
31 Oct 2010 13:04 #410105 by jearhart
Replied by jearhart on topic Center stand?
I found the mounts for a center stand on the bike. Should a centerstand from an 81 ltd work for my non-ltd bike (model B)?