throttle cables

More
18 Oct 2010 09:32 #407412 by at20
throttle cables was created by at20
hey guys

i think i found a problem . when i took my carbs off to clean them on my kz400 i noticed that i have 2 throttle cables. im new at this but i think they bth should be hooked up. the bike runs but i dont think thats right. Or is it ?

i tried to hook the other cable up but when i twist the throttle it barely moves because on cable wants to turn one way and the other cable goes the other way . can someone tell me what im doing wrong or where i can get a picture because my clymers manual doesnt show it

1976 kz400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2010 10:46 #407425 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic throttle cables
First, ditch the Clymers manual or use its pages in the bottom of a bird cage. If your throttle is like mine one of the cables is used to open the throttle and the other is used to close the throttle. There is an adjustment process in the Kawasaki manual that should be used. The idea of the second cable is to be able to close the throttle if for some reason it sticks open. That could keep you from going on a Toyota like ride. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Oct 2010 13:03 #407438 by at20
Replied by at20 on topic throttle cables
i use that one cuz it came with it and it tells step by step on things but on mine when i hook up the second cable i cant even twist the control because it stop it from twisting i even tried changing them around and its still the same

1976 kz400

More
18 Oct 2010 14:33 - 18 Oct 2010 14:35 #407453 by bighamms
Replied by bighamms on topic throttle cables
@at20... the kz400 Kielhen carbs do use dual throttle cables. I've taken mine apart on several occasions and can tell you that they are not the easiest things to get back on. The best approach, in my opinion, is to fit both cables in the guide before you mount the carbs. Use something to wedge the throttle guide fully open. Seat the first cable in the guide. Now place the second cable in hole (the little opening that locks the cable in place) and roll the cable over the edge of the guide until it is all the way in (imagine the process of mounting a tire. You start by seating part of the bead, and then you work your way around the rim rolling the rest of the bead in). After the cables are in, insert the carbs into the manifold boots, then into the airbox boots. it's a little tricky, but as mentioned, I've done it several times so I know it's doable.

I apologize if this seems complicated....not an easy thing to explain.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 14:35 by bighamms.

More
20 Oct 2010 18:05 #407860 by at20
Replied by at20 on topic throttle cables
oh no i understand how its done . i hook both of the up before but once i do i cant turn the throttle anymore. its like when both cables are hooked up one cancels out the other one. thats the part that i dont think is right. im just not sure if that could stop the bike from preforming correctly

1976 kz400

More
20 Oct 2010 18:25 - 20 Oct 2010 18:26 #407873 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic throttle cables
I believe this is the correct manual for your bike:

Kawasaki Service Manual

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Oct 2010 18:26 by 650ed.