vulcan or sportster shocks to lower a 440ltd?

More
15 Oct 2010 04:27 #406784 by hypnohio
would like to lower my '82 440ltd a bit. what experiences have people had with sportster or vulcan shocks? problems? delights? necessary to adjust front? thanks.

1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2010 11:08 #406832 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic vulcan or sportster shocks to lower a 440ltd?
I have used 500 Vulcan shocks on my KZ650... 11.5" eye to eye lowers it 1" in the rear, they bolt right on and were $50 on EBay.

The Vulcan shocks spring rate is about the same as a heavy duty replacement for the 650... I looked at the Harley shocks but the spring rate was massive - OK if you weigh 250lbs.

Also check Mikes XS web site... I think they list a 11" shock that will bolt right on and it also comes with an assortment of rubber bushing sizes - I believe they are about $60? I did not go that route because the spring and the top covers are black - the rest of it chrome... I wanted an all chrome stock looking replacement.

If you lower the rear it would be a good idea to lower the front by the same amount if you can by sliding the forks down in the triple clamps as far as you can without hitting the bars.

You have to make sure your brakes lines are OK and your pipes are not too close to your fender - but only lowering by 1 inch should not be a huge issue... just check first for safety's sake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.