Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut

• GPZ1100_Rider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2010 05:54 #405628 by GPZ1100_Rider
Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut was created by GPZ1100_Rider
Hi:

I'm going to tear into the forks on my GPZ to change out their leaky seals, and figured that I'd go deeper and inspect, lube and adjust the steering stem bearings.

The bike's tool kit didn't include a spanner wrench for the rear shocks preload adjustment, and I don't even know if it's the same size wrench as the one for the steering stem locknut, so maybe it wouldn't have worked out anyways.

Does anyone know what size spanner wrench fits this locknut? I see from the factory service manual that an adjustable one is being used. That type, is pricey. However, you can also get them in set sizes cheaper. I'd like to go the latter route, since this wrench may be a single use tool. I mean, just how often does one use this wrench anyways?

I couldn't find anything on Harbor Freight's website, doing searches for "spanner wrench," and "wrench."

I don't wish to use the shady tree garage version - screw driver and hammer method.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Marty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2010 13:35 #405711 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut
It seems to me that Sears (Craftsman) used to sell one the right size. A brass drift and small hammer will also do the trick. Be sure to remove the tank first, just in case. If you plan to ride the bike, this will not be a one-use tool. How often you need to do it will depend on how many wheelies you do ;) and how many pot-holes and frost heave cracks are in your neighborhood. :blink:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
10 Oct 2010 13:53 #405720 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
10 Oct 2010 14:03 #405723 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut
Mcmaster carr has both the fixed and adjustable type of spanner wrenches. The fixed type seem a bit expensive to me and the adjustable type are just a few dollars more in most cases.

www.mcmaster.com/#spanner-wrenches/=97vyr4

I used a fixed spanner wrench that I have for a small collet nut, although the wrench technically had a diameter much smaller than the stem nut it worked just fine.

1978 Z1-R

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2010 15:09 #405749 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Spanner Wrench for Steering Stem Locknut
make one, an old grinder wrench should do fine