fork / shock replacements

More
09 Oct 2010 14:52 #405501 by coach59
fork / shock replacements was created by coach59
Well, my maintenance journey continues on my newly acquired '82 KZ750 LTD. At this point, I'm questioning myself whether or not I'm throwing good money after bad. I've learned a lot in the last 6 weeks. I'm thinking if I knew then what I know now, I may have done things a little differently. One thing I've learned is that bikes which aren't used very much and "sit" for extended periods of time - aren't always the ones to seek after. My own learning curve I guess...

Anyway, so far, I've cleaned the carbs, had the valves adjusted, changed the plugs, replaced the front tire, lubed the chain and cables, installed a new fuel tank, changed the oil and recharged the battery. Now, I'm interested in replacing the shocks. I'm told one option is to intall a set of "Progressive" shocks - front and rear. I don't know much about this - or if there are other options available. Looking for ideas - and or wisdom.

The bike has 15K miles on it - and it's my first bike. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh approx. 300 lbs - so I'm a little sensitive to making sure I don't "bottom-out" as I ride - especially in local traffic riding.

Looking forward to the time when the bleeding stops for a bit!

Thanks

TH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2010 15:02 #405502 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fork / shock replacements
If you're looking for quality (as in not cheap) shocks you may want to consider Hagon shocks. I have them on my KZ650 and they're great. Contact Dave Quinn. He will set up a pair specifically for your bike, weight, riding style, accesories, etc. Here's a link:

Hagon

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2010 15:44 #405507 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fork / shock replacements
coach59 wrote:

...'82 KZ750 LTD..."Progressive" shocks - front and rear...15K miles on it...weigh approx. 300 lbs - so I'm a little sensitive to making sure I don't "bottom-out" as I ride....

Progressive shocks (rear suspension) are excellent shocks, and Progressive springs for the front forks are excellent springs.

Rear shock spring rate is important. Some springs have progressive rates. Almost all shocks have pre-load adjustments (usually 5 different positions) for setting the beginning spring resistance.

Imo, a 1982 KZ750 LTD with only 15K miles may still have some life remaining in the shocks, although the oem shocks are probably inferior to good after-market shocks. And the oem springs are likely pretty stiff.

Regarding rider weight, the oem shocks, set with some spring pre-load, should be okay with rider and passenger plus luggage (well over 300 lbs) and not bottom out.

Would test ride with rear shocks set at maximum pre-load. Then test again at next softer pre-load . . . etc.

Am thinking that shocks and springs don't deteriorate from lack of use.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Oct 2010 16:06 #405510 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic fork / shock replacements
The stock shocks were junk on day one, even for a 160lb person. Get some quality replacement shocks with the correct rate springs and also get a set of matching fork springs. It's the best improvement that you can make for your bike.

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

More
09 Oct 2010 16:21 #405516 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic fork / shock replacements
mjg15 wrote:

The stock shocks were junk on day one, even for a 160lb person. Get some quality replacement shocks with the correct rate springs and also get a set of matching fork springs. It's the best improvement that you can make for your bike.

I don't know about 1 day, but I do know that the stock rear shocks on my KZ650 (I bought it new) were shot by about 12k miles. The front have never been a problem, I use Bel Ray 15w fork oil (changed every 2 years) with the original springs and after about 50k miles the front still works great. I weigh 200 lbs and my wife is something (she won;t tell) over 100 lbs; riding 2-up presents no problems at all for my suspension. If it was my bike, I would replace the rear shocks, flush and change the fork oil using 15 weight Bel Ray, and see if it feels good. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2010 16:30 #405523 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic fork / shock replacements
measure your front fork springs,if theyre within spec no reason to change them.
drain the old nasty fork oil out of there and replace with reccomended amount but use 10/30 synthetic motor oil in place of that thin ass 10w crap,i think youll be happy with the differance it makes B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Oct 2010 18:28 #405563 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic fork / shock replacements
PLUMMEN wrote:

measure your front fork springs,if theyre within spec no reason to change them.
drain the old nasty fork oil out of there and replace with reccomended amount but use 10/30 synthetic motor oil in place of that thin ass 10w crap,i think youll be happy with the differance it makes B)

+1

Did it on my KZ1000st,helped a lot.
It is a quick and easy fix.
Stock suspention on the st's sucked from day 1,(wollowing pig in the corners).
Then I rebuilt them, added progressive fork springs and a valve spring off a v-8 under the dampner rod.
Also changed the valving by adding a restriction(emulator ?) between the dampner rod and fork spring.

For the rear,a set of Marzzochi shocks off of e-bay.
Still sorting spring rates and they are leaking a little and will get rebuilt this winter
Used progressive shocks before that and had good results.
They are gas pressurised and spring rates up to 120/170.
Hope this helps with your situation.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0