Club bar swap wiring help

More
07 Oct 2010 11:28 #404923 by Brian kz650
Club bar swap wiring help was created by Brian kz650
Hey all, I am swaping the stock bars for clubman bars.I want to run the wires through the bars I have searched the forum,if I have this correct it looks like the best way to do this is to disconect the wires at the harness and pull the wires out.Not disconnect from the levers.It seems my conection is under my gas tank,and pretty hard to get at.Do I have to take the tank off? any guidance would be great.Thx,Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Oct 2010 11:53 #404940 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Club bar swap wiring help
Yes you need to get the tank off to disconnect the switch pods from the main wiring harness. I know it seem intimidating until you do it the first time. All the wires are color coded so they match up easily when you re-connect them. There are two bundles of bullet connectors under the tank.

Be careful pulling the wires through the bars. I managed to pop three of the connections soldered in my switch pods when I pulled mine. As to trying to pull the wires back through the bars all I can say is good luck. I'm guessing that the factory pulled the wires first and then crimped on all the connectors. You'll find out what I mean when you go to pull the wires. I wasn't about to try to get them back through there. Unless the new bars have a larger diameter inside than the stock bars.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
07 Oct 2010 12:07 #404953 by Brian kz650
Replied by Brian kz650 on topic Club bar swap wiring help
Thanks testarossa, is there anything special I should know about taking off the tank, or the order of unbolting one piece or another first. I also have to drill holes in the new 7/8 bars. I was tempted to just leave the wires outside of the bars,but I think running them inside will be much cleaner.Thx,Brian

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Oct 2010 12:58 #404969 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Club bar swap wiring help
Tank shouldn't be too tricky. Remove as much fuel as possible. I suggest riding as an effective fuel removal tactic. Shut off petcock, disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines to petcock if present. I'm not sure how the back end mounts on a KZ650, but on my 1000 there is a strap under the front of the seat. Flip the seat up, undo said strap, and pull the tank straight back until the front end unhooks. At that point you should be able to lift it straight off.

Good luck.

PS I suggest that you de-burr the edges of the holes in your stock bars before you attempt to pull the wires. The holes are stamped in and have jagged edges perfect for cutting wires and snagging connectors. Possibly shoot some form of lubricant in the bar to assist in sliding the wires through.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
07 Oct 2010 13:20 #404977 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Club bar swap wiring help
Good news - removing the tank on the '77 KZ650 couldn't be easier. Turn petcock to "OFF"; disconnect fuel hose at petcock; open seat; lift rear of tank (it has a tang that goes into a rubber bumbper on the frame); gently pull tank up and toward the rear. That's it. There's nothing except the fuel hose to unhook. Be careful to watch the front of the tank so it doesn't hit the steering stem when lifting it off the frame or you may chip the paint. And be sure not to let the 2 rubber disks on the front of the frame fall off and get lost. You will see them when you remove the tank; the front of it engages them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Oct 2010 14:18 #404987 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Club bar swap wiring help
If you can borrow or buy a Dremel tool(a small hobby die grinder) it comes with a selection of stone rotary bits perfect for removing the burrs inside new handle bars.

Use the highest speed for better control, and have both hands on the tool if possible. For the best result, put the handlebars in a vice, to prevent scarring the chrome/paint, wrap the bars with several layers of rags and tape.

If the burrs are not removed, they will strip the insulation from your wires in a second! Noting quire like troubleshooting a dead short inside new handlebars.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Oct 2010 19:20 #405099 by Brian kz650
Thanks for all the replies, I will be starting this tomorrow,hopefully finishing tomorrow as well, next will be chopping the back of the frame and putting on a cafe seat,but one thing at a time, thanks again,Brian

More
07 Oct 2010 21:23 #405144 by 650ed
Brian kz650 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, I will be starting this tomorrow,hopefully finishing tomorrow as well, next will be chopping the back of the frame and putting on a cafe seat,but one thing at a time, thanks again,Brian

You're going to hacksaw a '77 KZ650? Egads! Oh well, another one bites the dust. :( Ed

More
07 Oct 2010 21:44 #405145 by Brian kz650
Sorry to offend you 650ed with my chop, I will still be able to use the stock seat if I want as I am only cutting a few inches off. That may ease your pain. I have a problem with leaving stuff alone,I always have to mess with it.I love the cafe, and flat tracker look since I was a kid and thats why I got this bike.Thx again guys for the tips on the tank and the dremel. Thx,Brian

More
08 Oct 2010 07:26 #405167 by 650ed
Brian kz650 wrote:
I love the cafe, and flat tracker look since I was a kid and thats why I got this bike.

Me too, but I've never seen a cafe or flat tracker that looks good with 4 cylinders. To me, the engine is simply too wide for that style to look proportioned right. I'm more of an old school guy who considers flat trackers and cafes to be twins or one lungers. Ed

More
10 Oct 2010 20:15 #405865 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Club bar swap wiring help
Not quite Cafe but what do you guys think of this 650?:

I've got the wires outside the bars on my bike. Have had them that way with a few different style of bars. Does tidy them up inside though.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
11 Oct 2010 20:01 #406062 by Brian kz650
Just wanted to say thanks for the help,650ed,thanks for advice on taking off the tank,I would probably have been staring at it for a while trying to figure it out. I did the bars this weekend,when I hooked up the electric I was expecting a problem, whenever you start really bending and pulling 33 yr old wiring you never know. But everthing was good,While the stock bars were really comfortable,the clubmans are more my style,and I like them better going into turns.Thanks again all.Brian