Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fork Air Pressure 17 Apr 2006 22:09 #40368

• Max2022
  • Max2022's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What it is : The amount of air pressure that increases and decreases stiffness to a certain point in your forks.

Why you should do it : If you have an older bike most likely there is no air in the forks, and they are incredibly soft, first thought would be replace the springs and do a rebuild, when in reality all you need to do is pump some air in it.

Tools needed :

Pliers
Bicycle Pump
Pressure Indicator
Thin pointy object, such as a key.

Step One : Unscrew the top valve coverings.

Step Two : Pump some air in, desired effects posted as following.

KZ750-E Standard : 10 Psi | Usable Range : 8.5 ~ 13 Psi(Softer - Stiffer)
KZ750-H Standard : 8.5 Psi | Usable Range : 7.1 ~ 14 Psi(Softer - Stiffer)

Step Three : Check air pressure, if using a normal tire gauge some air will leak out, it is recommended to use a speacil non-leak gauge for optimal accuracy.

Step Four : Replug, ride around a bit, see how you like it, if too stiff or too soft then adjust accordingly.

Warning : It is recommended not to use a compressor pump, I had no choice but to use one because of the fact that I do not have a bicycle pump lying around. When doing so only one quick burst should be let out, just a tap, and instantly let off, the amount of pressure exerted by the compressor can instantly blow the fork seals, and if pushes enough blow the forks apart altoghter. Use a bicycle pump! Your measurments will be much more accurate!

Valves - Valve can be found atop the fork, and has a screw off top that is usualy sealed tight, when resealing reseal hand tight, without the use of tools, the pliers are simply to screw it loose if frozen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fork Air Pressure 17 Apr 2006 22:37 #40376

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I use a compressor, but carefully, don't want to blow the seals out! First time a "pumped" up the forks - instant chopper, now I'm much more careful.
Not all forks have the valves on top, some have a single valve just above the lower triple clamp, linked to both fork legs.

Fork Air Pressure 17 Apr 2006 22:52 #40378

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
good write up, are you submitting these in the article section too? or filebase?
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Fork Air Pressure 17 Apr 2006 23:41 #40388

• Max2022
  • Max2022's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
77KZ650 wrote:

good write up, are you submitting these in the article section too? or filebase?

I'm not sure how to do that, I would if i could, it's going to be a step by step to rebuilding or making your kz look/ride better, I'm starting with the KZ750.

Fork Air Pressure 18 Apr 2006 12:07 #40537

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Max2022 wrote:

77KZ650 wrote:

I'm not sure how to do that, I would if i could, it's going to be a step by step to rebuilding or making your kz look/ride better, I'm starting with the KZ750.

At the top of the page, hold you mouse over "kz information" (beside "members") you will see "filebase" pop up on the left, click it. there should be 3 big icons close to the top of the page, the one on the right (I think) is for submitting new articles, Im pretty sure its easy, and has step by step instructions B)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Fork Air Pressure 25 Apr 2006 11:20 #42535

• elcid
  • User
Ok will this setup allow me to lower & rise my front end with a switch? I want to create a lowrider bike - drop the bike to the ground so it rests on the frame. If this wouldn't work, what would?

Fork Air Pressure 25 Apr 2006 16:54 #42623

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
elcid wrote:

Ok will this setup allow me to lower & rise my front end with a switch? I want to create a lowrider bike - drop the bike to the ground so it rests on the frame. If this wouldn't work, what would?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "switch", but the above information posted by Max is meant to be used to adjust the front suspension (more air=firmer ride....less air=softer ride), not actually to change the ride height of the front end.

I've seen bikes slammed so low that the frame does rest on the ground though, and actually uses the frame as a kickstand of sorts.
This was accomplished by designing the swingarm and rear upper frame as one unit, then allowing the front frame and now combined rear upper frame/swingarm to pivot at the same time (picture folding a Buck knife in half).
It would then be actuated by using either an electric powered motor, a small compressor to fill an airbag (like the type used on cars to adjust ride height), or a hydraulic pump, allowing the bike to be "dropped" to the ground.

It looks pretty cool.
But I don't know if it's actually designed to be driven or even streetable for that matter, since all the bikes I've seen done like this were strictly "trailer queens" and not even close to being street legal bikes.

The bikes below are ones that I took pics of at last years Las Vegas BikeFest.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/25 19:59
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Fork Air Pressure 25 Apr 2006 21:33 #42699

• elcid
  • User
Hmm that is interesting. I never looked at it that way. I wish I had a photo because I can't quite picture this frame. This sounds like a great idea BUT if it wasn't rideable (I am an everyday driver) then this would not work for this first build. I will talk to my partner & see what he thinks... meantime if you have a photo or even a crude drawing, that would help :)

Thanx for the tip!

• Page: