Shorter handlebar: clearance issue with gauge

More
23 Sep 2010 06:47 #401128 by shimvalve
I'm having a bit of a dilemma on my '81 kz550. I recently purchased some shorter bars (superbike bars) in place of the stock mini apes. All of the controls fit except that the right gauge is in the way of the master cylinder. In order to have symmetrical placement of the grips, the master cylinder/brake lever has to be tilted so the brake lever is 20 or more degrees above horizontal. If it weren't for the little nub cast on the bottom of the master cyl. that stops the banjo bolt from rotating I'd be golden.

Is there some way I can keep these bars on the bike and modify something to fit 'em?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
23 Sep 2010 07:17 #401134 by 9am53
I ahd the same issue, and just got a new master cylinder. I got one from a newer sportbike because they have the remote fluid reservoir which gives you a lot more room on the bar.

More
23 Sep 2010 11:09 #401187 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Shorter handlebar: clearance issue with gauge
Take the tach off, you don't need it.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor

More
23 Sep 2010 11:18 #401193 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Shorter handlebar: clearance issue with gauge
There are probably several different master cylinders you could replace it with, or you could just take your dremel tool, or a file, and carefully remove that nub. A lot of masters never even come with one, and most of the older ones never had it either. Just insure the banjo bolt is tight, and support the line further down somewhere if you're worried about it moving. I've never seen one move with a bolt properly tightened.

Least that is what I'd do. :blink:

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
23 Sep 2010 13:11 #401210 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Shorter handlebar: clearance issue with gauge
shimvalve wrote:

If it weren't for the little nub cast on the bottom of the master cyl. that stops the banjo bolt from rotating I'd be golden.

Thank you

just remove the nub ? ;)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)