opinions on new handle bars?

More
19 Sep 2010 20:37 #400177 by danhalen
opinions on new handle bars? was created by danhalen
I am swapping out the bars on my 550, getting kinda tired of the mini ape hangers. Was thinking of going to try the daytonas on z1 or the superbike bars. My question is for the guys 6' and over, are the superbike bars to low for you, as in your back hurts etc? Im just afraid the daytonas look a bit to high from the specs on z1's site.

1980 kz550 c1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2010 20:42 - 19 Sep 2010 20:42 #400180 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic opinions on new handle bars?
Just be careful with the superbike bars. I ordered those wayyy back from another retailer. They didn't clear my tank and I put a nice scratch in my (new at the time) paint. I haven't heard anyone else having that problem, but just something to keep in mind...

No problems with my current bars which are a little higher than the superbike bars. The seat on the other hand....
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 20:42 by austin3119.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Sep 2010 20:47 #400182 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic opinions on new handle bars?
your gonna have a fair amount of cables left over if it was high barred from the show room....see if somone with the same cruisers styles chimes in......they will have delt with what you will surely need to know before choosing.buying.installing...the higher the bars when new and the higher the rise on the ltd tanks....the more chance of needing some guidence....good luck..

that said lots of folks have run superbike bars on all types of ltd style bikes...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
19 Sep 2010 21:01 #400194 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic opinions on new handle bars?
I've used the "superbike" style bars for many, many years. When you mount them, you need to rotate the bars from side to side to see if they hit anything important. lol If they do, then I just rotate the controls up a little to gain some clearance at full lock. Or you can rotate the bars themselves up a bit to get extra clearance...or both. I've been able to get needed room on all my bikes by moving things around a little.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
19 Sep 2010 21:05 #400198 by danhalen
Replied by danhalen on topic opinions on new handle bars?
Thanks for the reply's guy's. I already have a new master cylinder assembly coming here in the next few days, and was going to wait till i decided on the bar to mess around with the cables and such. I was just kinda worried that the superbike bars would be kinda low for us taller guys, and it just deemed like the specs on the daytonas on z1 wouldn't be low enough.

1980 kz550 c1

More
22 Sep 2010 22:15 #401088 by steell
Replied by steell on topic opinions on new handle bars?
6' 3" and I love my Superbike bars on my 750 twin. Had to swap them out for Daytona bars though in order to mount my windshield. Haven't ridden it with the Daytona bars yet, so I don't know how they are going to work.

I also moved my foot pegs up and back, combination of that and the bars made it a real pleasure to ride.

KD9JUR