Followed Some Good Advice For My Forks

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2010 10:56 #397658 by Motor Head
Followed Some Good Advice For My Forks was created by Motor Head
So I remember reading that a couple of different members had made some spacers to increase the pre-load on there factory front fork springs. This was to help with a soft front end of course.
So with my 82 1000LTD it has always felt soft, even with a fresh fork oil change. These have the air adjustable tops, no equalizer tube. After putting the Vetter on I really noticed it, Braking = Diving front, roll on the throttle and up it goes.
So cut up some conduit that fit perfectly, 1 1/2" long, and put the caps back with an equal 10psi air. What a difference this simple 1/2 hour job made. Cheap? Absolutely! Had it already,:laugh:
Now to find a good replacement for the rear, as I no their worn, I have them as stiff as they will adjust. When the rear side bags are on with some gear in them I can bottom out. Had this happen in a curve up in N. California on my July trip. Scraped the peg at about 45mph leaning into a tight one. Luckily the underwear stayed clean,:laugh:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Sep 2010 11:46 - 11 Sep 2010 11:49 #397664 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Followed Some Good Advice For My Forks
Good on you for using your head and coming up with a practical low cost solution.

Got new Race Tech heavier springs, spacers, seals and 15 weight fluid in my KZ650. What a difference! There is no hard, soft dive or sudden springy pop back, i.e. "pogo-ing. Much better feel and good basic damping. I did not get the emulator kit which if unfamiliar provides better damping and fluid flow much like modern fork valves. I am not running the bike hard at track days or being overly aggressive in twisties so did not see the need. It is much like the stock set up but beefed up for my 220 lbs. I previously installed Continental "Conti GO!" vintage size correct tires which offer great stick with a modern tread design.

Now, I gotta get the rear end to stop wagging in corners and sweepers. Ready to pull the trigger on a set of Works Performance Shocks. I have had great results with the Works Performance shocks on my ZRX. If I was you, I would give them a serious look. Here is their website.>>> www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html The "Steel Trackers" are their lower cost twin shock offering. They have dual rate springs. They offer the dimensions specific to your KZ. There appears to be two length/sizes for your model/year KZ 1000. Here is a link to the model specific chart along with pricing. >>> www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/street.pdf I am likely going this route, unless I feel the need to replace the existing chrome with chrome. Their chrome version is called the "Street Tracker". They are located in So. Cal. IMHO, these are a much better choice than Progressive and far less in cost than Ohlins. If you contact them directly, they will answer all of your specific questions from assisting choosing the right shock to the right spring rate for your weight and riding style. Come Monday, I am ordering a set for my KZ650!

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 11 Sep 2010 11:49 by Forrest.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2010 11:52 #397667 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Followed Some Good Advice For My Forks
Did you look in the classifieds here on KZR? There are some shocks, Progressive, that would fit you bike I think.
Thanks for the web link, I'm looking around and this is another choice.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Sep 2010 12:06 #397669 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Followed Some Good Advice For My Forks
You are welcome. Not going to go with Progressives even if a good offer price. Progressives are fine shocks. I am biased and have had really good experience with the Works. They cost more but in my opinion worth it.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!