rebuilding/cleaning brake calipers

More
25 Aug 2010 06:58 #393686 by apbling
rebuilding/cleaning brake calipers was created by apbling
Reading another thread reminded me of this question I always meant to ask...

When I first got my 1980 750 LTD the rear brake was locked tight. I took the caliper off, took the piston out, cleaned everything well, and then took the rest of the afternoon getting the GD piston and dust seat in. I couldn't figure out if I should put the piston in first, then the dust cover, vice versa or a combination of the two. I taught my neighbors so many new curse words, that once I got it back together, I didn't even feel like working on the front ones. This winter I plan to replace the brake lines and clean up the front calipers...any advice on how to re-assemble them?

Also, is there a local store that can supply brake lines for motorcycles? I was thinking NAPA,Autozone etc type of places...

Thanks,
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2010 08:50 - 25 Aug 2010 08:52 #393718 by drmadd95
Replied by drmadd95 on topic rebuilding/cleaning brake calipers
When I cleaned my brake calipers last time I took them completely apart, removed the seals, and dust covers. I then cleaned out the seal grove with my Dremel and wire wheel.

I purchased new seals and dust covers for installation and threw away the 30 year old originals.

Re-assembly, lubed the caliper barrel, seal, and piston with fresh break fluid. Installed the seal, installed the piston and then lastly installed the dust cover.

I didn't have much problem with re-assembly other than I spent more time with the dust cover than the rest of it. But as I remember it didn't take too much time to finally get it on.

EDIT: As far as a local place for brake lines I have a place called House of Hose in Spokane that can replace the hose on my lines. The only problem is that the hoses are a tad bit larger in outer diameter. You may want to check around for a hose speciality shop where you live see if they can do the same thing.

1979 KZ650 B (Main Ride)
1978 KZ650 D1 (sold)
1982 KZ750 (parts bike)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 08:52 by drmadd95.

More
25 Aug 2010 11:03 #393748 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic rebuilding/cleaning brake calipers
Hmmm... the dust cover was in good shape (and at the time I didn't know if the bike was worth anything because it wasn't running) so I didn't buy a new one. I remember there just being 0 room to get anything in there to get the dust cover on. Maybe a good winter project I can walk away from if need be.

More
25 Aug 2010 17:45 #393825 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic rebuilding/cleaning brake calipers
Yes.Make sure EVERYTHING is clean.No gunk or corosion in the inner seal area.Lube the NEW seal with fresh fluid and install in the groove.Get NEW dust covers and put them on the piston FIRST.THEN make sure the piston is lined up straight,and press it all together.Should slide right in.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)