Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bearing question 24 Oct 2005 17:15 #3935

• DanOz7Five0
  • DanOz7Five0's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im thinking of finally upgrading to tapered bearings. I looked at them on Jeffs sight and have a question.

Are the races the parts that are sitting on top of the bearing itself? Those go into the sterring tube correct? What do the stock races for the ball bearings look like then? I thought they were the whole peice where the frame "flares" out at the steering tube.

Post edited by: danoz7five0, at: 2005/10/24 20:17
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bearing question 24 Oct 2005 17:58 #3947

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Yes to all your questions :)
Those are the "Outer" races on top of the bearings. and teh "Inner" races are inside of the bearings and non removable.

The races currently on the steering neck are the places that the liitle ball bearings run on, flaired out, top and bottom.
They can sometimes be a little difficult to remove :)

Oh yeah, be careful when you install the new races and don't put them in upside down, you need to be able to get the bearings in after you install them.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/24 21:00
KD9JUR

Bearing question 25 Oct 2005 07:09 #4072

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you have ball bearings in the steering stem now, the outer races are press fit and need some convincing with a drift and BFH. Once they are out, the new ones go in decently but a good driver is a good idea. The tapered steering head bearings make the steering feel almost MODERN! Smooooooth! If you don't change to all needle bearings through the bike when you get it, you are missing something! (put them in the swing arm as well rather than using bushings!).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bearing question 25 Oct 2005 19:00 #4271

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
I agree. I have them in all my bikes but one 1977. 1978 KZ650s had needle bearings from the factory in the swingarm, 1977 had bushings. 1979-1980 KZ1000E shaftie even has tapered steering head bearings from the factory. What a bike that was.
wiredgeorge wrote:

If you have ball bearings in the steering stem now, the outer races are press fit and need some convincing with a drift and BFH. Once they are out, the new ones go in decently but a good driver is a good idea. The tapered steering head bearings make the steering feel almost MODERN! Smooooooth! If you don't change to all needle bearings through the bike when you get it, you are missing something! (put them in the swing arm as well rather than using bushings!).

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: