kz750 ltd h2 1981 brake calipers upgrade

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
More
24 Aug 2010 07:39 #393445 by angel_uk
hi kzr's

has anyone ever upgraded their from brakes from single pot brake calipers (2 front), and rear brake (1 rear) to more modern ones using 2 pots or more? i was advised my a UK bike shop that the stopping power on Kz750 ltd H2 is not good. with all the newer bikes around, there has to be a compatible brake caliper that will fit the front two brake calipers and and also the rear. what a safer improvement this would be. i've actually changed all the OEM rubber brake pipes over to HEL stainless steel ones. they're covered in a clear plastic or any other colour to suit your bike.

i would interested to hear what you think on this.
i want be the first to ask this question, or the last!

cheers buddies for your great technical advice!

regards

angel in the uk!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2010 15:47 #393536 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 brake calipers upgrade
Correctly functioning stock brakes on KZ750 ltd H2 should provide ample braking for street riding. Enough to squall the front tire on good clean pavement when braking hard.

In a panic braking situation, a normally "weak" grip won't matter, as it then becomes super-human.

Of course, some folks prefer the newer multi-pot radial calipers with anti-lock, etc., which helps sell the new crotch rockets.

Replacing the stock brake hoses with stainless reportedly gives a better lever feel, but I've tried both styles (all else equal) and noticed little if any difference.

Would assure the pads are in good condition and not glazed. And that the rotor is ultra-clean.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Aug 2010 16:35 #393551 by JR
Exactly what Patton said. !!!

With good brake pads and clean brake fluid - dont use the old stuff - you wont have any problem stopping.

Beware of bike shops and so called "experts" who's only goal is to sell you stuff you dont need.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2010 00:24 #393660 by angel_uk
Replied by angel_uk on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 brake calipers upgrade
hi patton

thank you for your really informative email!

we totally agree. we'd to change the brake pipes as the original ones on the bike were split and damaged.

i've just read an article in a bike mag about the severity of some modern braking systems. they do more harm than good in a beginners hands. i've been riding for 20 years.
i'm involved in advanced riding and safety etc. there are so many new riders who think that can stop a bike on a dime at over 100mph in a few metres!... they don't study roadcraft, and don't realise they cause their own accidents.

we will just leave the stock brakes as they're, all services, new pads, lines etc. it was dads idea to upgrade everything. the stock calipers have a massive piston anyway, compared to other bikes.

best wishes

angel

More
25 Aug 2010 03:28 #393663 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 brake calipers upgrade
A really good upgrade is to go with EBC replacement rotors and HH pads.Of course you can rebuild the calipers using new pistons and seals.Using a Synthetic brake fluid is good too.Rebuilding the master cyliders is a good idea while you're at it.And don't forget to clean and lube the rear brake pivot too.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2010 05:41 #393676 by angel_uk
hi rider

thank you for your message, it was good of you
we're done a full bike restore, that's everything possible.

i saw a bike the other day in wales! it has modern brakes 2 pot and the rider said it's a worthwhile upgrade. i was out chilling and i forgot to ask for the manufacturer of the caliper. it might've been tonoco, tinico? something oriental!

best wishes and thank you!

regards

angel

More
25 Aug 2010 07:47 #393706 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 brake calipers upgrade
angel_uk wrote:

i saw a bike the other day in wales! it has modern brakes 2 pot and the rider said it's a worthwhile upgrade. i was out chilling and i forgot to ask for the manufacturer of the caliper. it might've been tonoco, tinico? something oriental!

probably Tokico.

Braided lines, better pads and rotors on the stock system work fine. Regular maintenance should also be performed to keep the stock (or other) system in tip-top shape.
Attachments:

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Aug 2010 08:36 #393717 by angel_uk
hi buddy!

many thanks for your great caliper photo.

you're so handsome too!

yes, the caliper on your photo, is the same one i saw in wales. the rider said the stopping was brilliant, since the upgrade.

kind regards

angie