KZ750 H2 1981 FRONT WHEEL TIGHTENING PROBLEM

More
20 Aug 2010 11:20 #392509 by JMKZHI
Did you try the diagrams at Kawasaki.com?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
More
21 Aug 2010 04:17 #392689 by angel_uk
Replied by angel_uk on topic KZ750 H2 1981 FRONT WHEEL TIGHTENING PROBLEM
hi j

thanks for your message.

i've contacted kawasaki.com a few times and been advised that my bike is 'too old' buy a newer one. what challenge is the there? anyone with the $'s can buy a plastic rocket and be like peas in a pod! it's unique owning a restored dinosaur. what do all say riders. let the dinosaur roar!..
grrrrrrrrrrr!

i will keep surfing until my fingers drop off!..
the truth is out there!.. somewhere.

best wishes

angel

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Aug 2010 06:01 #392691 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ750 H2 1981 FRONT WHEEL TIGHTENING PROBLEM
I think he meant to go to Kawasaki.com the web site and search the On line parts diagrams.
I go to this site for that, www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx
I don't see where Kawasaki has the Front wheel and fork diagram for your model, but the have the previous model, there is the parts list only for yours. They do this sometimes, maybe looking at the earlier model will help you.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Aug 2010 07:37 #392711 by JMKZHI
Motor Head wrote:

I think he meant to go to Kawasaki.com the web site and search the On line parts diagrams.
I go to this site for that, www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx
I don't see where Kawasaki has the Front wheel and fork diagram for your model, but the have the previous model, there is the parts list only for yours. They do this sometimes, maybe looking at the earlier model will help you.

Yep. I use the Kaw site regularly. The CyclePartsNation diagrams are helpful sometimes too.

Since you believe the forks may not be stock, it might be a good idea to post a photo.

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2010 05:39 #392913 by angel_uk
hi gang!

my dad has now discoved a few things about the wheel tighting problem:-

NB The forks are stock ones :) Thank goodness. The confusion is due to page 109 OEM manual. Two different forks are shown in the photos?

The reason why the wheel wont tighten etc is:-

1) part of the speedometer gear is actually missing?
There was some loose material in the tang hole from a fabrication mod, not our work?

My Dad has another spare speedo gear, from the land of your sunshine! it's shiny and newish and no parts missing.

The missing loose pages from the OEM manual were actually in the Clymer manual! :blush:

2) he also discovered that the speedomenter gear is not in the right position. he can't find the fork leg stop, it looks like it has come off? It's a small rectangular cast about 1 cm rectangular shape.

3) the photo in the OEM workshop manual page 109, shows two different fork types. two photos on page 109 show front axle clamps on the bottom of the folks (one clamp, two bolts, per fork). These are not my forks.
mine are the same as the photos on the page 109, middle left. the speedometer gear stop wont touch the fork leg stop as it's missing?

has anyone ever lost there fork stop? any suggestion greatly appreciated.

regards

angel

More
22 Aug 2010 07:11 #392934 by JMKZHI
The factory manual probably covers several Kz750 models. Your Ltd-4 came stock w leading axle forks, whereas the 750E-Standard came w forks that have the axle kinda directly under them.

As for the fork stop (or whatever it's called), I'd guess that it's only purpose is to help in aligning the speedo drive unit. It probably isn't critical or anything, since the speedo unit won't move after you tighten the axle nut to spec. You ought to be able to reference the photos in the manual to get an idea of how to align the speedo drive.

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2010 08:16 #392951 by angel_uk
cheers buddy!

many thanks for your messages! please read my last message to patton regarding my request for some of your lovely sunshine. i just need to clear coat the tank, the weather is too cold? i should move to the US!

what bike/bikes have you got then?

many thanks

angel