tyre pressures - original tyres current tyres

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
More
12 Aug 2010 15:55 #390411 by angel_uk
hi riders

i've just read this article in a bike magazine.

when your bike and my bike was first built, as an example in 1981, like mine. the owners handbook states tyre pressure for the front and rear. as time progressed tyres like everything else improved and got better. the manufacturer now state higher tyre pressures than the owners handbook as the materials used now, is far superior to years ago.

what do kz riders recommend for the tyre pressures for a current bridgestone tyre for a kz750 ltd h2 1981 please?

some of my bike mates, ride classic z's and put higher tyre pressures in.

any advice greatly appreciated gang!

best wishes

angie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Aug 2010 16:18 #390417 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic tyre pressures - original tyres current tyres
That seems to bring on much debate. Me I adjust mine for riding style and weight. Since I have some extra body work, fairing and bags, I go up a couple of pounds, but stay under the maximum weight/ pressure that is on the tyre.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
12 Aug 2010 16:43 #390423 by MFolks
I check my tire(Tyre for the Brits, and our neighbors to the north) pressure when cold,the same for engine oil.

Having the vehicles tires at the correct pressure can be like walking a tightrope. Overinflation makes for a hard ride with quick turning, underinflation causes excess carcass(tire body)flexing resulting in a softer ride but more tire wear and slower responce to shifting riders weight.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Aug 2010 18:03 #390456 by gane
Angel & all, Here's a tip I got from multiple tire distributors. For street applications, regardless of load range/compound/size, a 10% increase of tire presure from cold to operating temp. (standard riding) is nearly optimum presure for that tire on that bike.This deferential in pressure is caused by heat....A tires best freind & worst enemy,,,,Friend because heat softens the rubber & gives best adhesion. Enemy because heat is the biggest cause of wear. So say youre'running period 19-18 tires & rims & Book spec. is 28 &32 psi (cold) and at operating temp are at 30/31 & 35-36 youre there. if presures are greater, add air, as carcass/sidewall flex is building up more heat than the tire can dissipate/transfer to asphalt. If less,drop a couple pounds & re-check. There will be variances of course with ambient/road temps. But this is an excellent "rule of thumb" for presures especially when considering the same tires are often used on bikes with greatly differing weights & application. Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1