Greasing The Caliper Pins

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 17:16 - 06 Aug 2010 17:22 #388773 by bountyhunter
Greasing The Caliper Pins was created by bountyhunter
I just did the front brakes on my KZ750. The caliper still slides OK, with some resistance. I wanted to clean and lube the caliper pins (manual calls it the "caliper holder shaft").

It says you push the pins out being careful not to damage the O rings and dust covers. What are the chances those would push out without tearing up the old O rings and rubber covers?

Smarter just to leave them alone since the caliper does move?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 17:22 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2010 17:21 #388775 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Greasing The Caliper Pins
That is the self adjusting slider for your brake. These need to move freely and should be greased when replacing brake pads, Sil-Glide is a good product, but most any decent water proof grease should be fine.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 17:24 #388778 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Greasing The Caliper Pins
Yeah, I'm just afraid those 30 year old rubber dust covers are going to disintegrate when I try to drag the pin out through them.:huh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Motor Head
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 17:27 #388780 by Motor Head
I don't think they are very expensive, but of course most likely would have to be ordered. Really at the age of these bikes the rubber should all be replaced, a caliper piston kit is pretty cheap, and there is probably dirty stuff in there even if the brake fluid is changed every two years as recommended.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 17:32 - 06 Aug 2010 17:33 #388781 by bountyhunter
These rubber cups don't go near the piston, they go around the slide pin where it passes through the mounting bracket piece. I think they are supposed to keep grease in that area. I'll check and see if they are still available.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 17:33 by bountyhunter.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 17:40 #388782 by Motor Head
Right the piston has its own dust seal and piston seal. The ones on the slide pins are as you say, water out/ grease in. I had corrosion in 1 piston on the 1000 I bought, the brake fluid was terrible. I'm sure all of it is available, from Kaw or even K&L Supply in some cases.
Check Z1 for a start.

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2010 20:50 #388838 by bountyhunter
Yeah, I found them at Z1. Looks like it will run me about $35 per caliper to get the seals. I'll try and sneak the pins out gently by slowly twisting and see if I can lube them and slip them back in (without pulling the caliper off). I really don't want to have to pull the caliper after I just fixed it with new pads and all.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2010 19:47 #389501 by bountyhunter
For the record: I pulled each pin out by removing the nut and "working" the pin out twisting gently as pulling it out (did one pin at a time, then replaced). I greased all pins and did not have to remove the calipers or replace the rubber seals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Motor Head
  • User
More
08 Aug 2010 19:49 #389503 by Motor Head
Good now the caliper can Float like it was designed.
Hows the brakes feel? Better?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2010 22:19 #389528 by bountyhunter
Motor Head wrote:

Funny..... when I push it in the garage I have to walk it some to get it in front of my car. It's easier to push now, I suspect the caliper was holding a little pressure on the stationary pad. Now it rolls free like it has round wheels and ball bearings on the axles.....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Aug 2010 23:30 #389536 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Greasing The Caliper Pins
bountyhunter wrote:

Motor Head wrote:

Funny..... when I push it in the garage I have to walk it some to get it in front of my car. It's easier to push now, I suspect the caliper was holding a little pressure on the stationary pad. Now it rolls free like it has round wheels and ball bearings on the axles.....:laugh:

Yeah, I have one that's been sitting for almost two years. It's definitely like pushing a dogsled. Looks like the front calipers are coming off for a cleanup.

• shannonbeau
  • User
  • It's my first bike. 82 KZ 1100a
More
04 Oct 2010 18:11 #404078 by shannonbeau
Replied by shannonbeau on topic Greasing The Caliper Pins
This article has helped me.. I wasn't sure if I needed to put grease in or not, I did some, but I couldn't get the smaller shaft in as it had air pressure behind it, and it was pushing off the rubber seal on the pin.
I'll clean it up and put the grease in the bottom, then some around at the end and work the greas into it.... I had one that was stuck so bad that it wouldn't float.

Just got an 82 KZ 1100, working to fix it up as my first bike.