tube tire change tip

More
28 Jul 2010 09:18 #386542 by CSRjunky
tube tire change tip was created by CSRjunky
I'm sure all of you old Kaw riders have changed your own tires at some time. I ride enough to be cheap enough to want to do it myself. First I took an old 14" car wheel, covered the edge with old garden hose and bolted it to the top of a heavy workbench with a 5/8" threaded rod with a nut & washer on each side of the bench surface, drop on the car wheel,then a nut & washer and a 4" square of plywood as a wooden washer. Adjust it the nut up or down so the bike wheel will just touch it when you put it on the rod. After the MC wheel goes on add another plywood square, washer and nut hand tight. Now the wheel can spin but is held in place nicely.
Before placing the tire on the tire jig, remove the valve stem and remove the nuts from the bead locks, push them back in as much as you can, and break the bead loose all the way around on both sides. Use soapy water as lube and I just put the rim on 2X4 blocks on the floor to keep the brake disc from hitting the floor and use my heels and stand on the tire to pop the bead off the rim. When both sides are loose, then put it on the jig on the bench. For a chain drive I put the chain side up.
You know the rest, use some sort of protectors for the irons on your rim (plastic strips from OJ jugs). The plywood square is a handy bonus, you can slip the ends of your tire irons under the edge to hold them while using another iron.
The trick that is most useful is to get rid of the spoke protector strip. I cleaned the inside of the rim and applied a thin coat of RTV silicone over the spoke screw ends. NO MORE STRIP TO MESS WITH! The bead locks are enough trouble, but getting that rubber strip over them while inside the tire, getting the valve stem hole in it to line up, well, forget that! Use the RTV and it's gone forever!
There may be some that think this is a bad idea and maybe I haven't though of everything. All I can imagine is access to the spoke screws is blocked but you can always scrape off the RTV if need be. I've owned spoked wheels for 40 years and have never messed with the spokes so far, non-problem!
Good Luck knuckle busters!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Jul 2010 09:32 #386548 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic tube tire change tip
Balance? I use the axle in a vise, Nut locked in, then the wheel/ tire and then a 2x4 prop with a v cut in to hold it up level. Then you can static balance it by rotating very slowly and then letting go. It will try to either speed up in the same direction, or stop and reverse directions if it is off. When it comes to a stop the heavy side will be Bottom. Move/add weight accordingly till it rolls really slow evenly. Bolt it up.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
28 Jul 2010 11:47 #386590 by CSRjunky
Replied by CSRjunky on topic tube tire change tip
Sounds good to me. I'm going to use tape on weights, my rim has a nice smooth surface on each side of the spokes. I was going to try dyna beads but they are expensive and I still like the old tried & true methods...