Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD

More
06 Aug 2010 11:30 #388676 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Yeah people abuse those and seldom if ever grease them, so they dry out and start to wear out. Unless your model is completely different than the many different models I've worked on they're cake to maintain.

You probably want to get a new seal for it, although myself I carefully remove the old one and re-use it as they aren't held in overly tight and come out easily without damage if carefully removed.

I use high speed wheel bearing grease in mine. the drive gear should come out easily after you remove the seal by rotating it the opposite way it drives, then just clean it up, clean the housing up. I put the gear back in, fill the assembly with WD or your favorite solution and work it around a bunch so it cleans the old dried crap out of the pin that drives your cable.

Dump/wipe out the WD or whatever you used. Then add a generous amount of grease and insert the gear and work that around a bunch so it gets up into the top of the pin, remove the gear again and basically pack the assembly with grease, reinstall the gear and seal... you should be good to go.

I repack mine yearly.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 18:28 #388793 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Thanks for the advice fellas. I just did this... The seal came out in pieces, but one came with my new wheel bearing (that doesn't happen often). The old grease was pretty dried out and cake in there. I cleaned it out and put in some grease with graphite moly or something. Silky smooth now. Might even improve gas mileage ;).

More
17 Aug 2010 08:11 #391633 by apbling
Me = dumba$$.

So the wheel started squeeking again the other day. Last night on the way home the front brake started to grind a little bit, so I didn't use it the rest of the way home. When I got home I decided I would try to grease it up again and see what was grinding. Well, what I found scared the hell outta me. I had the brake pad in BACKWARDS. Thank god it was on the side of the rotor that wasn't touching the caliper piston, otherwise I might have caused a ton of damage or worse. It just had a few scuffs on it. I turned it around and things are nice and quiet again. Stupid stuff like this makes me wonder why I don't slow down and make sure I do things right... whew.

More
17 Aug 2010 08:15 #391638 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
ive done stupider things! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Aug 2010 11:04 #391683 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Something tells me you're going to be just fine. Cause well, you investigated, instead of ignoring it like many would have. B)
We've probably all done stupid shit scurrying around in a hurry, laugh. More patients young Jedi, let the Force guide you.
Hey at least your speedo drive got some love and much needed attention.. chuckle

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
18 Aug 2010 06:30 - 18 Aug 2010 06:32 #391849 by apbling
Well, it was squeeking. After I greased it things got quiet for a week (I must have put the pad in wrong then). Then they got squeeky again, and I figured the grease got pushed out or dried up again or something. Then the brake started grinding, so I knew something was up.

But, I she was still mad at me for that stunt because the tach cable took a crap on me on the way home. Last time that happened on my 550, the speedo went about 3 days later, so I had no way of knowing how fast I was going....wonder if the cops would believe that... hehe.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2010 06:32 by apbling.