Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD

More
26 Jul 2010 05:52 #385856 by apbling
Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD was created by apbling
I have a squeek coming from the front axle of my 1980 750 LTD. I just got it back on the road after sitting since the mid-80's.

I have had the front wheel off for new tires and to rebuild the forks. I did grease the axle and bearing (did not remove the bearings).

What I know about the squeek:
1. Not related to brakes. It does it with brakes on and off, tone doesn't change.
2. Related to rotation of the wheel. It speeds and slows up as I do.
3. It is not constant. It will squeek for 1 min, then not for 5 then squeek again. Always squeeks when I come to a stop.
4. Sometimes when I hit a bump it will produce a small squeek, but I can't reproduce this by compressing the forks at rest.
5. The majority of my ride in the morning is 55 mph. When I moved my speed closer to 65 mph, it seemed to get louder.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
26 Jul 2010 06:30 #385867 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
apbling wrote:

I have a squeek coming from the front axle of my 1980 750 LTD. I just got it back on the road after sitting since the mid-80's.

I have had the front wheel off for new tires and to rebuild the forks. I did grease the axle and bearing (did not remove the bearings).

What I know about the squeek:
1. Not related to brakes. It does it with brakes on and off, tone doesn't change.
2. Related to rotation of the wheel. It speeds and slows up as I do.
3. It is not constant. It will squeek for 1 min, then not for 5 then squeek again. Always squeeks when I come to a stop.
4. Sometimes when I hit a bump it will produce a small squeek, but I can't reproduce this by compressing the forks at rest.
5. The majority of my ride in the morning is 55 mph. When I moved my speed closer to 65 mph, it seemed to get louder.

Any ideas?

Remove the bearings.
Replace.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
26 Jul 2010 08:00 #385890 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Just an idea... You could check/clean/lubricate the speedo drive. Remove the rubber seal then pull out the gear - it's fairly simple.

Did you try elevating the front, then spinning the wheel... checking stuff?

More
26 Jul 2010 08:48 #385917 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Nope, I originally thought it was my brakes, but then on the way in to work this morning I was doing some troubleshooting and came to the conclusion it wasn't. I will try this tonight though. I did JUST have the tires off (last Thursday) for new rubber, so maybe some dirt got in somehwere or something.

When a bearing starts to go out, it doesn't normally squeek does it? I thouht they usually howl/growl?

More
26 Jul 2010 13:16 #385985 by apbling
So, I just ordered a front bearing (it was under $20). Would it be very unwise to ride it again tomorrow to work? If the squeeking doesn't get worse I should be ok, right?

I just don't want the damn thing to lock up!

More
26 Jul 2010 23:34 #386155 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
I like the All-Balls-Racing bearing sets from Z1Enterprises.com - they seem to be high quality & the sets include the oil seals, including the speedo drive seal.

More
27 Jul 2010 00:07 #386163 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
apbling wrote:

So, I just ordered a front bearing (it was under $20). Would it be very unwise to ride it again tomorrow to work? If the squeeking doesn't get worse I should be ok, right?

I just don't want the damn thing to lock up!

You ordered both I hope, little sense in doing one side. Yes they can cease up, though it's most likely to destroy your axle than actually lock the wheel up.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
27 Jul 2010 07:01 #386199 by apbling
yes, I got both sides and seals too. All balls racing. should be here today and installed shortly afterwards. I got them from Dennis kirk. They are based in MN and usually get my parts the next day (I live in WI). I order 99% of my stuff from Z1 usually.

More
06 Aug 2010 06:40 #388609 by apbling
OK, I replaced the front wheel bearing. Everything is installed properly. The SOB is still squeeking! I can only hear it when slowing down at about 10 mph to stop. I cannot reproduce it on the centerstand and it's still not the brakes.

I did however notice thay my speedo needle shakes a bit between 40-50 mph, but is steady at all other positions 0-39 and 50-85. Related maybe?

I'm gonna pull that speedo gear tonight and inspect it. I should have done this before but I was convinced it was the bearing and didn't look twice at it...crap! Just use regular grease to lube the speedo gear?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2010 06:47 #388611 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
They can make this noise from the cable in the housing, have you tried it with this disconnected? Did you lube it, the cable will come out of the housing for cleaning and lubing. Also the Speedo head its self can make the noise at the bushing where the drive cable comes in, difficult to lube, but taking it off and spraying a good lube into it while upside down seems to work for a while. WD is more solvent than lube, so use even 3in1 or something with graphite.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
06 Aug 2010 09:10 #388628 by apbling
When you say speedo head... you referring to the drive unit or the speedo unit?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2010 09:13 #388629 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Squeek from front axle 1980 750 LTD
Your Gauge assy. At the Handle bars.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...