Front axle nut torqud to 60lbs??

More
25 Jul 2010 06:52 #385493 by jonnygorman
Front axle nut torqud to 60lbs?? was created by jonnygorman
I have an '81 kz750H. It has a pinch pin style axle fastening system on one fork,and an axle nut on the other. There is a spacer/collar between the forks (on the pinch bolt side) and the speedo gear drive is between the wheel and the fork on the other side. Anyhow, the manual says to push the axle through all components, hand thread the axle nut onto the axle until it is flush with the end of the threads, tighten the pinch bolt to 15.5lbs of torque, then torque the axle nut to 60lbs. All goes well until torquing the axle nut. Because the pinch bolt is not tight/strong enough to stop the axle from being pulled through wheel by the axle nut being torqued, it pulls the axle through the wheel assembly. I have got to be missing something. The axle also has a hole through the pinch pin/non threaded side, is this for a push pin or last chance safety mechanism to stop the axle from being pulled through the wheel assembly? The clymer makes no mention of anything.
I would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2010 07:11 #385494 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Front axle nut torqud to 60lbs??
It should be impossible for the axle to be pulled thru. The collar on the right side of the wheel acts as the stop (pinch bolt side). If you remove the axle & collar to take a look at them, you should see that the axle cannot go all the way thru the collar - the fat end w the hole should be too big.

As for the big hole, you shoiuldn't have to put anyting in it to act as a stop. I put a big screwdriver in the hole to keep the axle from spinning while tightening the nut.

More
25 Jul 2010 08:12 #385513 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Front axle nut torqud to 60lbs??
Perhaps this diagram from kawasaki.com may help.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: