Slime tire repair??

More
13 Jul 2010 08:30 - 13 Jul 2010 08:31 #382249 by apbling
Slime tire repair?? was created by apbling
OK, I know it's a bad idea to use slime or any other kind of tire sealant...but, hear me out and tell me what you think:

I have an 1980 750 LTD that is in great comestic shape, and only needs a final carb clean/tweak, battery and maybe new clutch/clutch springs to be road ready. The tires were replaced once already have good tread on them. I will be replacing them possibly this year if I am able to keep her on the road.

Now, my issue...the rear tire has a slow leak... It takes darn near 2 weeks for it to go flat. I pumped it up good and stiff and rubbed soapy water all over it for an hour last night and couldn't find a leak (I was hoping it was the stem or bead). The local shop wants $30 just to look at it, and thats not counting cleaning the bead/replacing the valve stem etc. So, I am thinking of using the slime just for a get between now and when it's roady ready enough to get some new rubber. Any thoughts?
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 08:31 by apbling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Jul 2010 08:38 #382253 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Slime tire repair??
you already said it...it is the bead or the stem...put 100 psi in it and spin it in a bathtub....you will see air...go super slow....then just fix the stem or re-seat the bead...imo...

tire irons are about 10-15 a pair and some kzr forum searches will show how to pop the bead and maybe try and just spin/rotate it see if it stops...or r&r the tire for a stem replacement...could be the outer stem casing ...or stem to rim seal,or valve stem...i would replace the valve stem insert air pin and over air it -after rotating and smaking with a rubber mallet while deflated and raised up...then set the air back to normal and see if it goes away....all just my opinion...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 Jul 2010 11:16 - 13 Jul 2010 11:17 #382279 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Slime tire repair??
apbling wrote:

OK, I know it's a bad idea to use slime or any other kind of tire sealant...but, hear me out and tell me what you think:

I have an 1980 750 LTD that is in great comestic shape, and only needs a final carb clean/tweak, battery and maybe new clutch/clutch springs to be road ready. The tires were replaced once already have good tread on them. I will be replacing them possibly this year if I am able to keep her on the road.

Now, my issue...the rear tire has a slow leak... It takes darn near 2 weeks for it to go flat. I pumped it up good and stiff and rubbed soapy water all over it for an hour last night and couldn't find a leak (I was hoping it was the stem or bead). The local shop wants $30 just to look at it, and thats not counting cleaning the bead/replacing the valve stem etc. So, I am thinking of using the slime just for a get between now and when it's roady ready enough to get some new rubber. Any thoughts?

sounds like a rim leak. I would put a tube in it to be sure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 11:17 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Jul 2010 11:48 #382287 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Slime tire repair??
never thought of that... where can I get a tube that would fit?

More
13 Jul 2010 11:52 - 13 Jul 2010 11:55 #382289 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Slime tire repair??
Good question, are these these tubed?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 11:55 by Old Man Rock.

More
13 Jul 2010 12:21 - 13 Jul 2010 12:21 #382300 by apbling
I would assume tubless. the valve stem is threaded to the rim and doesn't appear to be a tube-type. and they are aluminum mag rims.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 12:21 by apbling.

More
13 Jul 2010 22:17 - 13 Jul 2010 22:18 #382456 by bountyhunter
You can put a tube into a tubeless rim, you have to remove the stem. I ended up doing that on my wife's car because one of the new tires we got had a rim leak and the dipwads that sold it to me wouldn't replace it because they couldn't find a leak.

Any bike shop has tubes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 22:18 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Jul 2010 06:40 #382508 by apbling
well, I found the leak...it's from the bead... however after closer inspection, the tire has some decent sized cracks in the sidewall... I think I'm just going to keep pumping it up every couple days just to get it around the garage and then just get a new tire in a couple weeks when it's ready to hit the road. Thanks for the help fellas.

BTW, any recommendations on cheap but decent tires? I don't need anything super high performance...

More
14 Jul 2010 08:08 #382525 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Slime tire repair??
Try the Bridgestone S11 from americanmototire.com I run them on two of my bikes, they work really well.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
14 Jul 2010 11:13 #382628 by bountyhunter
Bridgestone Battlax have a good reputation.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Jul 2010 11:39 #382632 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Slime tire repair??
trianglelaguna wrote:

you already said it...it is the bead or the stem...put 100 psi in it and spin it in a bathtub....you will see air...go super slow....then just fix the stem or re-seat the bead...imo...

tire irons are about 10-15 a pair and some kzr forum searches will show how to pop the bead and maybe try and just spin/rotate it see if it stops...or r&r the tire for a stem replacement...could be the outer stem casing ...or stem to rim seal,or valve stem...i would replace the valve stem insert air pin and over air it -after rotating and smaking with a rubber mallet while deflated and raised up...then set the air back to normal and see if it goes away....all just my opinion...

100psi lots of pressure... DANGER DANGER caution easy whoa holy shnikey

More
14 Jul 2010 13:30 #382653 by apbling
Yeah, I didn't go with the 100 psi... I started at 40 and found it. As for the tire, there's a guy at work here that is a parts unlimited rep and is gonna mount it and everything for just under 100. I'm gonna go with the Dunlop 404 (have the same tire on my 550) Seemed like a good middle of the road tire. Any reason I shouldn't go with the 404?